“A Local Favourite Tucked Away”
Review of La Viena

La Viena
Ranked #786 of 3,682 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Easy to miss and not very big but worth seeking out in west Kensington. This small restaurant is always busy so reservations are recommended. Fresh cooked wholesome meals caters to the comfort food most seek when they come here. Attentive staff and delicious desserts round out a pleasant evening. Not for kids but great for groups of six or less. Parking out front is slim so take to the side streets.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Right from the first time we went there, the food, service and prices have always been exceptional. Everything is made from scratch, including a fantastic dessert selection. Business lunches or small groups gathered evenings, generally left everyone feeling pleasantly surprised and always impressed. Parking can be an issue.

Reviewed November 24, 2013

La Vienna appears to be a hole in the wall tucked in beside a gas station and a Mac store. But, when you walk in, it opens up to this cozy, busy, loud place that serves predictably good Italian food. It is a winter place that warms you up when all you need is a nice bowl of pasta. I may have other favourite Italian places in town but this one is good for a once a year visit.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Picked his very small restaurant because I have usually had good experiences at these small owner operated venues. This was no disappointment! The service was outstanding, the food was delicious and the atmosphere was a little bit of Italy. Parking was a challenge due to only space for about four cars in front, but there was ample space close by.

1  Thank Wingman4
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My friends like this restaurant and this was my second visit with them and I'm still at a loss for why they like it, as the food was awful and it wasn't particularly inexpensive.

I can't really remember my first meal here about a year ago (as it was utterly unmemorable, other than it was not good) but this last meal was truly memorable as it was so bad.

I didn't like any choices on the menu, so I asked if they could make penne arrabiatta for me.

No problem they said, but what was served was basically disgusting - macaroni served with a meat-based/anchovy sauce, not at all what I expected.

Maybe this dish is from a part of Italy I don't know - whatever, it was awful.

I will not return to this restaurant.

2  Thank Intrepid_Hikers