“Had high expectations but overall the experience was underwhelming”
Review of Alloy

Alloy
Reserve with OpenTable
Alloy is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 3,647 Restaurants in Calgary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Alyth - Bonnybrook - Manchester
Cross street: 42 Ave. and Macleod Trail
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I treated my wife and in-laws to dinner here this evening. We started with the calamari and crab/apple fritters which were good and then continued onto the main courses which included prawns and scallops ($37), ($33) pheasant, ($27) beef short rib and ($38) steak. Overall it was agreed by everyone at the table that the food was adequate but overall underwhelming considering the price charged. I had the steak which included truffle gnocchi and white asparagus. The gnocchi was good but the steak was nothing special as it was not very tender and was somewhat dry (ordered medium rare) – you could get a much better steak for a fraction of the cost in many other restaurants. The pheasant was dry and the seafood platter was nothing special. Oddly, the beef short rib seemed to be the best deal of the night as it was the lowest cost dish, was very tender, and the cannelloni that came with it was delicious. The beef short rib was also the largest portion for those people with larger appetites.

The service was good and attentive and the atmosphere was quite nice. It reminded me of a much more chic version of Austin Powers bachelor pad (and I say this in a good way). I went to Alloy several years ago and remember the food being much better than I had last night. Not sure if I will be back.

2  Thank Chad-Sexington-IV

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Walking in from an industrial part of town I was pleasantly surprized by the cozy tasteful atmosphere that awaited us. We were with a large group so waiting for a drink didn't really bother me to much, if I were dining as a couple I may have felt a little ignored. The appetizers were awesome as was the main entre. A bit pricey, but a great place for a special occasion.

2  Thank hemeRN
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I`ve been to Alloy twice now (neither time on my own dime, thankfully). This is to say that Alloy is rather pricey, but you get what you pay for. Excellent service, ambience, and most importantly food. Portion sizes are good, wine selection great, and the dessert menu looks incredible but haven`t tried it out. The building from the outside is nondescript, but that is what makes the experience so endearing - you are very pleasantly surprised once you step inside! Last time we went, we had a charming server who offered just the right touch of interaction, humour and professionalism. Perfect for just any type of intimate gathering, whether it be a couple, two couples or a small group of friends.

1  Thank calgaryish0me
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I've reviewed Alloy on Tripadvisor before and previously it was a favourite. Just goes to show how any restaurant is only as good as the last visit. This was our fourth visit to Alloy. The food was as good as ever - lobster salad/pork belly; pork chop/ beef shortrib; strawberries/chocolate pate - all very good. But waiting 45 minutes for a drink after our server disappeared set the whole evening off on the wrong footing. We'd asked to sit on the patio, but the tables were cheap plastic with no candles or flowers or anything to enhance them and the heaters were too small so only one of the four of us felt any benefit. We moved indoors, but still waited ages with just water to drink. I think our server just forgot us, but that's just not good enough. The guy we assume was Maitre d' needed to do more to restore our faith and that didn't happen either. Such a shame.

2  Thank DWYGO
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Service was good. Pheasant wasn't spectacular - tasted like chicken. Poor ambience - very loud. There are better places to dine in Calgary.

3  Thank Billvia