“Good food, odd service”

Il Gallo Nero
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Mission
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Food was very good, priced almost a bit high for location compared to other very good Italian restaurants in the main core but the service was odd. Have been there a couple of times and last time experienced confusion as to who is serving who, wait staff who have forgotten they were to bring something, and the owner who comes across as being a bit haughty and impatient but is still passionate about the restaurant. It is quite loud inside due to open concept with hardwood floor and little to dampen the sound but on a non busy time the ambience is nice.

1  Thank MKH000

Reviewed June 10, 2012

Gallo Nero is what I would call a comfortable favorite. The food is consistently excellent, the service is terrific, but also wrm and friendly.
The restaurant serves Italian/Mediterranean cuisine. Many, many people tell me that the Lasagna is the best thy have ever tasted, anywhere, including Italy. For years the owner, Claudio, resisted putting Calamari on the menu, but they have it now and it is excellent.

Gallo. Nero has a good wine list, not overpriced. There are no table cloths, so it is more relaxed and informal, but the food is great! If there is a hockey game on, this restaurant is packed because it is located lose to the Calgary Stampede Park and the Saddledome.

I have eaten here so many times that I think I know the menu by heart. I have never been disapointed. Great dinner with good wine will run about $75.00 per person.

Enjoy!!

1  Thank George B
Reviewed March 23, 2012

I loved the caesar salad! The dressing was great! My husband's seafood lasagna was good. I enjoyed my pizza! The tiramasu was good! A great place to go before a game with friends!

1  Thank diningprincess
Reviewed March 11, 2012

My first time to this restaurant despite driving by all the time on my way to flames games. It has a great atmosphere, and the service was good. But I must say very intrusive. They were so many waiters, and bus boys running around that it was irritating. All were very nice, but were just around too much! I had the gnocchi. It was okay. Not as good as Ive had down the road at mercato, or even il centro. the desert was adequate. Seemed a bit pricey, but we did have an expensive bottle of wine. Not bad.

2  Thank manium
Reviewed November 5, 2011

We chose the restaurant based on its location: perfect if you want to have a meal before heading to an event at the Saddledome or Stampede Grounds. You can leave your car in their free parking lot.

Liked the atmosphere very much, modern and charming at the same time. The food was good, kids and adults found appealing choices on the menu. Calamari were really excellent.

1  Thank canadabaerchen