“Very good and very expensive”

Ruth's Chris Steak House - Calgary
Reserve with OpenTable
Ruth's Chris Steak House - Calgary is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 3,547 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 9th Avenue South and Centre Street
Calgary, Canada
“Very good and very expensive”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I'm usually here once a year (typically for corporate events or very special birthdays), and it hasn't disappointed yet. Service is excellent, food is excellent.

You'll have an excellent steak here, but also very expensive. They give you a whole briefing about how they serve it on a 500-degree plate, and it always comes literally bubbling and searing hot on your plate. The sides I've tried have all been excellent.

If you want a high-end steak and don't mind a high-end bill, Ruth's Chris is certainly worth a close look. They often do family dining packages, which might be worth it for those a little more bidget concious.

As a side note, being of American origin, they also have a few USDA cuts of steak on the menu (american cows are corn-fed beef vs. grain-fed in Canada). I tried it, it tasted very odd. I shared it with members of my group and they also thought it tasted odd. This is apparently normal for USDA beef. Stick to Alberta beef, it's world renouned for a reason (which I have come to appreciate after eating in the US and abroad).

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Scott R

• Korean first
“A weak one”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Food was pretty good, the server wanted to sober me up. I did not think a martini and a glass of wine would say "DO NOT ASK ME FOR ANOTHER DRINK". Sitting their with an empty glass not even an offer if water.

2 Thank NotThatAngry
calgary
“Pricey but good”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

The quality of the food is outstanding and to appease the home market, you're given a choice of Alberta beef or the USDA product. The service is good and knowledgeable. The atmosphere is terrific.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank perriap
Toronto, Canada
“Good food but VERY expensive”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

As expected, Ruth Chris has very good food and a nice enviroment. Their speciality is steak and the menu is limited on anything other than beef. There is one chicken offer, lamb chops and a couple of seafood choices. Very nice ambiance with professional and friendly service. But not a cheap meal.

• Visited October 2012
2 Thank Denfor17
Calgary
“Terrible Customer Service from Tony and Adrian”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I went to Ruth Chris in hopes of having lobster for a change and a creme brulee. I was dead wrong. I only got to eat a ceasar salad after having to send back the first one because I requested no croutons and it still came with them. Tony called me a difficult customer and when I made a complaint to the manager about Tony he apologized for my "perception" of Tony and that he's one of his best servers. Adrian was implying me and my friends were the issue in the matter. I've never had any complaints about Ruth Chris or the staff. I've never had Tony as a waiter and never had to interact with Adrian besides him seating me. Customer service was clearly not on the menu and I'll never eat there again as it seems they don't respect their African American customers as they do the rest.

• Visited October 2012