“Not as Good as I Remember”
Review of River Cafe

River Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
River Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 3,662 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I decided to take my partner to the River Cafe for a special early valentine's dinner. We had started the evening with drinks elsewhere and arrived for our table at 7.30. The place was more or less full and it had a warm and cozy vibe, as I remembered. We were seated promptly, ordered a glass of wine and appetizers. I had the red lentil hummus and my partner had a mushroom ravioli. The hummus was, as always, very tasty but it was served with roasted garlic that looked grey and unappetizing. My other half liked the raviolo, but to my taste it was a little bland. For mains we had the vegetarian ragout and the porchetta. The ragout was very good but the pork was a little tough and salty. The accompaniments were the nicest part of that dish, especially the vanilla roasted beets... very nice indeed. For desert we shared a sticky toffee pudding, which was made with pumpkin. This was a big disappointment because it tasted nothing like sticky toffee pudding and everything like pumpkin pie... my worst nightmare desert! Overall, it was okay but not the high quality dining experience I have had here in the past. River Cafe is a pricey night out, and for the cost I had hoped for something a little better.

2  Thank anderses

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Lovely shady patio in the heart of the park. Fantastic food, great service, rustic decor and lovely atmosphere.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

We enjoyed our lunch and we were impressed with the quality of food and the the view of Prince's island

Reviewed January 1, 2013

I just love the location and atmosphere here! It's special place. I never feel like I've eaten an unhealthy meal and it's different and tasty. Love the breakfast basket of muffins!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We came for Sunday lunch in mid-Ddecember 2012. Two couples each with one infant (ca. 9 month olds). Baby strollers apparently "not allowed" in restaurant though they did have high chairs.

In my opinion, menu is uninspired. Food I had was average (breakfast fare) with bacon served cold, toast served cold, and sausage arriving at the table well after main plate was served. Also seemed to take quite some time to actually get served.

Service was friendly enough but patchy. Waiter was unable to remember our orders, forgot drink orders, etc... (noticed he was doing the same thing at neighbouring tables as well). Suggestion: if you can't remember it, write it down. Confusion regarding what was on the menu versus what they actually had available. Hot chocolate was great.

Room itself was nice - fireplace was going and it was a cold winter's day outside.

Overall, in my view this place is overpriced with average fare. I might give it a try again in the summer as the location for outdoor dining would be very nice, but for winter visits I would give it a miss.

1  Thank Voyageur812