“Review of northwest restaurant”

Bobby Chao's Restaurant
Ranked #2,010 of 3,537 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian, Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Calgary, Alberta
“Review of northwest restaurant”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

In earlier samplings, Bobby Chao's restaurant, in a strip mall just off 53rd St. NW, opposite the Edgemont Racquet Club in Calgary, seemed to have poorer quality food compared to its predecessor restaurants in this location. No more. My wife and I have now eaten here twice, once for dim sum, and yesterday for a full dinner, and have nothing but praise for it. The staff were friendly and solicitous and took the time to speak with us about the choices. The menu was amazing, huge and with a plethora of photographs visually describing many if not all the dishes. I ordered a bowl of wanton soup and a beef with onion and Chinese pickle entree; my wife selected a beef with bitter melon entree, because she had heard that bitter melon is helpful for diabetics. We were not disappointed. The individual wanton soup came in a generously large bowl with very tasty broth and many large wantons. Both meat dishes had similar vegetables with black beans and green and red pepper. The beef was tender and without gristle, and the vegetables were very tasty. All this and very reasonable prices: $4 for the soup $12 and $14 for the entrees. We said we would be back, and we will be!
For diabetics, BTW, the bitter melon appeared to work, to a degree. Despite taking some noodles, my wife did not take any insulin and two hours later, her blood sugar level was between 5 and 6 on the Canadian scale; however, in the middle of the night, her value was just above 8 when she usually measured 5, so she is not sure if the melon continued to work well into the night or not. In any case, the bitter melon really tastes bitter, and must be offset with another vegetable, such as sweet onion, to be palatable.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank efmCalgary_Alberta

Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Meh”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I've come to this restaurant many times - mainly because its one of the only dim sum restaurants in the north west. I only really go there if I feel like dim sum - but don't really want to drive all the way downtown.

Food is ok - sometimes its greasy or bland - almost depends on who is cooking that day as the consistency is all over the place. For example I've gotten really good congee from them and other times the congee is downright nasty.

Service is an issue - especially for non-chinese - seems like the staff could care less if you are there or not. I have yet to see a staff member smile at me - yet somehow they expect me to tip. Oh careful ordering over the phone - I always seem to get someone who barely speaks english.

If you want chinese food - go elsewhere - there are a lot of good options near by that are way better - check hawkwood - or the restaurant near superstore. But if you need dim sum in the northwest - its one of your only options and its ok....

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank jamroco2000
Canada
“Just so-so”
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Food is just so-so but soon you will find you need to know which ones they can cook well. The sticky fried rice is very good, but many other offers are either too mean or even bad. Try ordering the oyster sauce noodles and you will have problem finding where, if any, they put the oyster sauce. The spicy hot sauce on each table is also something you need to think twice before you apply - I saw lots of bubbles in the bottle as if some other liquid had been mixed to dilute the cheap hot sauce and that it tasted weird. Overall, I found it not a clean restaurant and the service was also poor that I had to yell and wait for the waitress every time.

Visited November 2011
4 Thank CityJudge
San Francisco, California
“Food is good but service could be more friendly”
Reviewed May 13, 2012

In terms of food, we generally order the generic dim sum staple like shrimp, shumai, etc.. and all have tasted great. Congee was also quite good.. I prefer the mushroom with chicken.

Service here has been a hit or a miss... but that doesn't surprise me as it is not a high end asian restaurant. For the most part though, I've gotten used to eating here since I've found that as long as I order my usual pho or vermicelli, then everything is good... and also the dim sum choices I've outlined above. I've also gotten used to not having the waitress pay attention as much.. I just waive my hand and call her, and seems that works! lol...

All in all, for the price and food and the amount of selection in terms of vietnamese/chinese cuisine... I don't mind going here as it's one of the better tasting vietnamese/chinese food I've had in the Northwest despite a bit of a poor service.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank mindNSoul
ab
“Worst in Calgary by far”
Reviewed March 28, 2009

Food very poorly prepared. Restaurant is very dirty, small, loud and over crowded. Staff will hardly bother to serve you unless you ask! Entry to restaurant is strangest in town...its like walking into a meat locker with terrible plastic curtains. Very worst in town by far!! Save your money!!