“Sunday Brunch”

The Coup
Ranked #17 of 3,514 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Canadian, Healthy
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Mont royal
Description: We use as much organic & local food, liquor and wine as possible, including all soy products & grains. Menu items are made from scratch & with love. We have a wine & cocktail lounge with weekend DJs, and a restaurant. We recycle all we can & compost our kitchen waste. We purchase food from local farmers, and with minimal packaging; we plant 36 trees a month, and we are 100% wind powered.
Calgary
“Sunday Brunch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

My sister and her hubby are vegetarian, so we decided to try the Coop for a weekend brunch. I will say that it's not terribly child friendly... no high chairs or booster seats. However, the kids were quite good and the food came out in good time. The coffee was delicious. My sister and I ordered the Green Eggs no Ham and loved the way it came filled with swiss chard and brocolli. We also had the rosemary hashbrowns which were delicious. My brother in law had the Grilled Treehouse Sandwich... he said it was delicious. For the kids we get two eggs with cheese and a fruit plate. I gave them my toast, since I avoid bread. It was quite loud but that suited us fine since no one could tell when the older one got a bit whiny. :) Altogether we had quite a good time although if we went back as a group, we'd bring our own booster seat for the one year old. I would definitely recommend!

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Really good food and nice service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

The food is just amazing and the people are so friendly you can really see that the staff is a good team. And what I like the most is that the staff really has time for you. It's not a big place and compared to other places I've been the waitresses look happy and not in a rush

1 Thank awesomefoodlover
Calgary
“Awesome vegetarian food in friendly intimate atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Totally lucked out with an outdoor table last Saturday for a late lunch of the most amazing food from a very comprehensive menu and wonderful service. My husband had the war & peas soba noodle salad with fresh vegetables & seared tofu in a ginger and lime sauce and I had the satay bowl with steamed broccoli, sautéed tofu and greens on rice vermicelli topped with spicy satay sauce. Both the dishes were exceptional and the ingredients so fresh - a truly enjoyable experience and a restaurant we will return to often.

1 Thank Hidden_treasures4
Western North Carolina
“Great, Tasty Vegetarian Food, Patience Required”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Chances are, you're not going to be able to eat dinner in this really good Vegetarian restaurant. They don't take reservations or call-aheads. We came by about 6:45 on a nice Thursday evening, and were told that the wait would be an hour and 40 minutes. When I quizzed the receptionist, about when one could be more quickly seated for dinner, she said "come when we open at 5:00PM, and you'll be seated right away." I'm still in the office then, and by the time I can get to the restaurant, the wait is over an hour, way beyond my patience zone. (Now this might be different on a snowy January night.)

But here's the good news - you can probably be seated at lunch or weekend brunch with little or no wait - And, many of the dinner items are also on the lunch menu. We had a delicious lunch. I spent some time admiring some interesting choices on the cocktail menu, but it was too early in my day to try them out.

Sooo, either be prepared to hang for a really long time before dinner or go for lunch or brunch.

1 Thank FrenchBroadCabin
North Battleford, Canada
“Ruined me for any other restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I'm overdue in writing this review since it's been almost a year since I was at The Coup. However, I now realize that I measure every other restaurant by this place and nothing else has measured up, even though I've done a quite a bit of traveling this past year and searched out a lot of plant-based food on my vacations. The Tempeh Shawarma was amazing and I have tried to recreate it a few times at home (close, but not quite!) and my lunch date had the falafel quesadillas which were also amazing.

I can't wait to get back to Calgary next month so I can go back to The Coup and try something else!

• Visited August 2012