“A Delicious and All-too-Rare Veggie option in Calgary”
Review of The Coup

The Coup
Ranked #23 of 3,682 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Healthy
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighborhood: Mont royal
Description: We use as much organic & local food, liquor and wine as possible, including all soy products & grains. Menu items are made from scratch & with love. We have a wine & cocktail lounge with weekend DJs, and a restaurant. We recycle all we can & compost our kitchen waste. We purchase food from local farmers, and with minimal packaging; we plant 36 trees a month, and we are 100% wind powered.
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Beautiful little vegetarian restaurant. Their drinks are fresh and delicious and the food is wonderful. Tough to get in as Calgary severely lacks vegetarian options but worth a wait. I love the stack (I can't remember the proper name) with the portobello mushroom and quinoa. Its such a lovely mix of flavours. My husband (an avowed meatatarian) enjoys the more traditional and closer to meat-type things such as the burrito.

1  Thank PrinterBird

Reviewed July 21, 2012

Delicious drinks, wonderful food. It's almost impossible to decide what to eat because everything looks phenomenal. Sometimes has a long wait and they don't take reservations, but for a night out, it's fun.

1  Thank Sarah M
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This is probably the best and most well known vegetarian restaurant in Calgary. They strive to always have some new items or specials which is really nice.

They also have a great selection of drinks both alcoholic or not some which seem rather original.

On the down side. I am afraid that the dishes are not as incredible as they could be. I have been a vegetarian for over 25 years and I wasn't very impressed so your carnivore friends might not be either.

I think is still worth checking it out. Keep in mind that they do not take reservations so you have to be there early and / or be prepared to wait in line for a while. On the bright side they have a nice lounge sort of next door where you can enjoy some of the great drinks before one of the tables opens up.

Furthermore the location is really good so you can have a drink and then hit one of the pubs or stores down 17th Ave.

If you are driving try to look for free parking a few blocks away from the main through fare

1  Thank yxy
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The Coup is a hip, happening place in the up and coming Uptown area of Calgary. The food is vegetarian and vegan friendly, with daily specials in food and drink. The menu features craft beers and interesting cocktails, the food is organic, excellent, and cleverly presented, and the service friendly. The vibe is young, hip, and cool. The small room can be crowded at times but this just adds to the buzz. We would return in a heartbeat.

1  Thank Denis D
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I have eaten here several times and always enjoyed the food, but I find the menu a bit limited for my liking. I am not a fan of "interesting" drinks as I prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them, but many friends seem to enjoy them. I think I would choose this restaurant if I was dining with a vegetarian, but otherwise not.

1  Thank timetobeinspired