“Batting 1000” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Open Range

Open Range
Reserve with OpenTable
Open Range is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #47 of 3,490 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Canadian, American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Northeast Calgary
Cross street: 11th Avenue NE
“Batting 1000”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

So, I've reviewed this place before, but I'm doing it again.

It's our go to when we have someone from out of town.
I had two friends out from Halifax and they wanted to eat Steak.

Open Range, best place for out of towners, I am so proud of it.
They took care of my various allergy issues even though it was 8:00pm on a saturday night. We got a great little table by a fire place, I love both their dinning room and lounge (but I would recomend the lounge, I find it cozier and just a great atmosphere.)

We got the escargot and wild mushroom dip for appetizer (excellent), The guys got the NY strip; thats where "batting 1000" came from, they were so impressed with the restaurant, and with me for choosing it they were gushing all night. They were joking that when they pulled up they expected to see VLTs or something, but instead you go in, and its this wonderful cowboy oasis.

Our server, in the dining room saturday of the easter weekend was excellent, I wish I could remember his name, he was an older man (meaning not a kid), over 40, (we were sitting by the door and the fireplace), but such a great attitude, super attentive and knowledgble about the food and wine. Suggested that the scallop potatoes be shared instead of over stuffing us with food (so right).

Just love this place, have been there several times and will continue to go back. Thank you open range.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank zostarks

• Korean first
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Neighborhood Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

I read the few "terrible" dining experiences for this restaurant and feel you should give the place another go. My husband and I live off Edmonton Trail and dine here quite frequently - never had a bad meal and we love it!

I believe the owner(s) doubles as host and server? Not certain but the staff is fairly consistent, polite, unassuming and the service is quite good. Aspects of your experience are done before you realize you needed something (water refilled, more bread). And the servers have actually eaten the food on the menu so they can answer questions or make recommendations quite easily.

As mentioned, we have never had a bad meal here. The food has always been exactly what it needs to be - perfect. We buy gift cards and recommend Open Range quite frequently.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank tllinton
Estevan, Canada
“Delicious !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went for a birthday dinner and we weren't disappointed. The wild boar was awesome,the elk and duck were fabulous. Service was very good, no hovering. Nice atmosphere. Would definitely go back again.

1 Thank SHERRY F
Calgary, Canada
“Overpriced, rushed and burnt.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Valentines day 2013- Decided to take my girfriend out to Open Range and give it a shot since we love Calgarys steak houses. We chose the Calamari and thier bison w.e dish to start. The bison was thinly cut and aged similar to a perchutto, it was okay however the cheese served along with it was cold and hard when it got to the table which seemed to be the case for those around us too.The Calamari was horribley cut and battered, each bite tasted like a mouth full of raw batter, im guessing its why they served it with the extrememly way too tangy tarter sause, my guess is whoever prepped and cooked it rushed the job. We both ordered the lobster bisc next, I love lobster bisc however this looked like beef barly soup lol and tasted way too salty, no cream at all and a rubber texture to the lobster.My girfriend wasnt pleased and didnt touch hers and she eats bisc everywhere we go !... looked around and it turned out we werent the only ones who didnt eat the bisc. for the main courses I chose the prime rib, it was perfectly cooked but again too much salt in the au jue, my girlfriend liked her duck. we had the flourless choc cake for desert and the bottom was burnt so we ended up just eaing the top half. any way this is the first and last time we dine here id rather keep going to Ruths chris and other places where quality shows in thier food.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Calgary, Canada
“Really nice place but should have done better”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Went here with my wife for a special Valentine's Day dinner. Very nice, relaxing atmosphere and we were seated at a two-person table right by the fireplace. The server seemed knowledgable and there was a reasonable selection of drinks and cocktails.

I had called prior to showing up for our reservation to let the maître die know that my wife has a severe allergy to both ginger and garlic. She thanked me for letting them know and said she would note it in our reservation. Upon being seated, the server mentioned nothing so I thought it best that I bring it up again. When I did, he promptly went to the kitchen to inform the cook but it was upsetting to see this information hadn't already been passed on accordingly.

He came back with a list of items my wife definitely couldn't have and a list of items she could have but would need to be slightly altered. He assured us that everything would still be very flavorful. Now I completely understand that having an allergy of this sort limits what you can eat but that shouldn't mean that the food you're served should be completely bland and unappetizing.

My wife ordered the prime rib and the server informed us they would season it but wouldn't add any sauce because it contained garlic. When it arrived, it was simple a huge chunk of completely bare prime rib with mashed potatoes and vegetables. We were both really upset to see that the cook had taken absolutely no effort to season the meat or come up with another sauce that was garlic free. We really didn't expect this from such a high-class establishment.

Our last meal out was at a much more reasonably priced restaurant, Joey's, and the cook there personally came to our table to discuss meal options and offered to make my wife a stir-fry with a freshly made sauce from scratch. Very impressive and the meal was delicious. I think it was really lazy and unprofessional to be served such subpar fare and still be charged full price for the bland, unappetizing counterpart to the full-flavor gravy soaked prime rib everyone else got to enjoy.

So all in all, it's a nice place but don't expect them to go the extra mile if you have any dietary concerns.