“Ahhh, SUGO”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Inglewood
Cross street: 11 St SE
Reviewed September 26, 2013

What a great restaurant. Never dissapointed at Sugo, the menu changes daily, the ingredients are fresh, they strive to bring you local fare, and the meals are just simply delicous. Scott, our server, is always top notch, knows the products and makes great wine and meal recommendations, settings and decor are simple but sharp and appealing. Wine list has great selections to choose from. Went last night with friends from out of town, because we like to show off our "hood" of Inglewood. I had the linguini, (natch) my husband had the halibut, our friends had the gnocchi and lamb. All were wonderful meals. Highly recommend Sugo as a place for a romantic dinner, or to break bread with friends. So good.

There are newer reviews for Sugo

Reviewed September 8, 2013

I took my wife and her brother for dinner last night and had a great time. The experience could have been enhanced tenfold with a little attention to detail. We ordered the chiefs tasting and the food was good.Not great just good. We had a few pre drinks a bottle of wine and coffee at the end.

The help required:

Service, we were a party of 3 1 woman 2 men the waiter always served the men 1st and was always reaching across my face to serve my wife instead of from behind. He should have served the woman 1st. When the courses did arrive the waiter attempted to explain the course to us but was unable. When you have a chiefs tasting it is supposed to be all about the element of surprise and the explanation of the food.

When the bill came it was all wrong. It was for only $96.00 way to low for what we had. So I informed the waiter he just switched our bill with table behind us with out looking it over. Yet again it was wrong I let him know yet again. This time he decided to have a look and brought back my bill that almost made me fall out of my chair $436.00!! I have no problem paying for fine dinning but we were so far from fine dinning I was insulted. A glass of Port was $17.00!!

I guess this is why 1/3 of the tables on a Saturday night were empty. The waiter did try to make up for our mediocre experience by giving us a half off gift card for a bottle of wine next time we are in.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

We love the Sugos and visit it always once when staying in Inglewood. It's always a pleasant stay. Service is excellent. But take care: it's quite expensive and you should calculate around 200 CAD for 2 people for a three course menu including wine and espresso.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was not a big fan of this restaurant. I was first turned off by the little small print line at the bottom of the menu stating that each person will be charged $1 for unlimited "Q filtered water and bread." Seriously? $1 for water? Apparently this is something that many restaurants in the area are doing, charing for filtered water. We live in Canada. I don't worry about my water. Ridiculous.

Our waitress was not very pleasant, almost like it was an effort to serve us. She warmed up a little bit later in the meal, but very poor first impression.

Regarding ambience, it was quite nice. Half of the restaurant sits up higher on bar stool like chairs facing couch benches, the other half is more traditional table and chairs.

Regarding food, not the best I've had. Restaurants like La Brezza show why it's the #1 restaurant in all of Calgary. Had the calamari as an appetizer. Different from usual calamari I had, it came in a bowl with vegetables and a broth, almost soupy. Taste was good, just wasn't for me. For my main I chose pasta and had the carbonara. First time I've had it where the egg that comes in it was just turned over easy so that you can break the yoke. Enjoyed that. However the bacon that came was far too fatty and gristly. I understand some fat for flavour, but this was far too much, unreasonable.

I might give it a second chance to see if another visit might offer another experience, but charging for water, poor service, and too high of prices as far as I'm concerned will likely stop me from doing so. Not particularly pleased.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Cozy ambience with great service. Great place to go for couples and as a small group. Parking on street. Only thing I disliked was I could feel a draft of cold air every time the front door was opened. Good idea to wear a sweater.

1  Thank wlmcdonald