“So Disappointed”

Sugo
Ranked #256 of 3,537 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Inglewood
Cross street: 11 St SE
Houston, Texas
“So Disappointed”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

My girlfriend had been trying to make reservations here for sometime and was finally successful and for a special occasion no less. So I'll start with the positives...it's a quaint little spot and while a bit small it felt very intimate and private. We were also very happy with the wine selection we made. I will also say our waiter was quite nice, but was not as responsive as we would have hoped. The disappointments started when we selected choices for the antipasto platter. Based on our waiters recommendation, we selected the egg plant. No one enjoyed this selection. It was very bitter and I found it difficult to finish the single piece I tried. The salami seemed like it had been freed from it's plastic store packaging minutes before being placed on our plate. The accompanying mango jam was good, but I'm still confused about whether the bread was just stale or someone didn't know how to properly toast it. We had higher hopes for the next course given the fact we had heard so many positive reviews from other friends. The salads were only average. My soup was decent, but I found a few large chunks of fresh garlic that over powered the other flavors and it was way too salty. Now to the mains...I had the penne pasta with italian sausage, my girlfriend had the veal scallopini and her daughter had the scallops and prawns. The scallops and prawns were the clear winner of the night, as both the veal and pasta were poor at best. The pasta was clearly out of a box and both the sausage and tomato sauce were underwhelming. My girlfriends veal was nearly tasteless and the accompanying vegetables were not seasoned. We all decided to have dessert and while good, it did not make up for the previous courses. I so wish we had the same experience as the other recent reviewers. While we may try it again, the overall evening left much to be desired.

• Visited January 2013

“Perfect.”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Divine were the scents and smells as we walked in the door! The staff welcomed us immediately, and my first impressions were what warm and gracious hosts we have and I can't wait to eat!

Indeed, our server was so joyful and pleasant. His rapport and timing were perfect. I would wouldn't have wanted him to change anything.

I ordered the grilled Waterton Lakes rainbow trout while my date ordered the beef rib eye. Both meals were outstanding. My vegetables were perfect tender-crisp and I can't say that I've ever had fish cooked so beautifully.

The restaurant is ideal for romance and making a special memory!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank justtakemetothebeach
Calgary, Canada
“If you want fast food this isn't it, but it's really nice.”
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Having dropped in for a late lunch a couple of weeks before we decided to try it for Saturday supper for four. We were allocated the requested table and our server was great. The service here is slow which allows plenty of time for good conversation. I had the trout salad and the veal followed by pistachio creme brûlée - all delicious well proportioned. New addition to my favourite three.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank DWYGO
“Just OK”
Reviewed November 10, 2012

I always look forward to trying new restaurants but will not return to Sugo. Our waiter was cool and disinterested, not making eye contact nor attempting to engage our table of four. The menu was uninspired and the prices sky high. Salt and pepper missing from the table and we looked longingly at the pepper grinder on the bar but we were not offered any, for either our starter or entree. My ahi tuna was ok, not particularly flavorful and the gooseberries in the couscous were bitterly sour.

There are so many great restaurant choices in the city - and I'll try any of them before returning to Sugo.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Scampy11
“Overpriced underwhelmed”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

A group of us were there this past week. Ten of us from our office. The prices were extremely high and the food was average. The bruschetta was cold and tasteless, the fois gras apparently was not very good and the rest of the meal had no wow factor. One would expect wow when a meal of lamb chops was priced at 39 dollars or bruschetta over 10 dollars. The service was adequate although they brought me the bill I paid for it and then they came back with a voided bill saying they charged me incorrectly. The difference was about 200 more as the tip was added in on the second bill as a service charge. Not somewhere where I will be taking my staff again nor will I go there again unless they can assure that quality is better for the high prices thy charge.

• Visited October 2012