“Decent - I'll be back”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Southeast Calgary
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I LOVE Indian food and have eaten at all the best places in Vancouver, so moving to Calgary I was concerned I wasn't going to find anything to appease my finicky palate. This place almost makes the grade.

First off, I love the atmosphere in this place......more of contemporary Indian but inviting and cozy. It's not a big restaurant but still manages to feel spacious even when packed full (which it normally is on weekends).

As for the food, I do like it although I found it fell short in a few areas. For one, I usually order mild spice for my husband which in most Indian places tends to still have some kick to it but this was entirely bland like they added no spice at all. Disappointing, because even if I have to order it mild (I prefer hotter but oh well) I still need it to have a little heat. Veggie pakoras were tasty, fairly light and a generous portion that came with both tamarind and mint chutney, both good. Our palak paneer again was fairly bland but not entirely flavourless and it had a nice thick consistency to it. I believe we also ordered a coconut curry prawn dish which was pretty good. Naan was fluffy and not overly chewy.

Our service here has always been very good. We've always had attentive and friendly servers that didn't rush us through our meals even on busy nights. Overall it's a decent place and it's close to home so I know I'll be back.

1  Thank Nina J

Reviewed April 25, 2013

We visited here on look see for a house and found another excellent Indian restaurant, we ordered the peshwari nan, which is a bit more coconut than we would like, but the korma has a nice little nip in it, but they do ask you about how hot you would like your food, found this to be a busy place and good food have been twice and not disappointed.

1  Thank Jennifer M
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Our second visit to Karma, we were expecting a wonderful meal and a relaxing night out. Indian food is one of our absolute favorite cuisines, so we perhaps have developed a certain set of expectations for this food. Upon ordering, my companion and I discussed whether we should order a vindaloo dish or not. We can handle our spice, but I assumed Indian restaurant vindaloo would be much spicer than a chain serves it, so we opted for a madras dish instead. Our server (who was pleasant, friendly and always attentive, as were all other employees we encountered) double checked that we were okay with the madras spice, and asked if we wanted to spice up other dishes. We agreed to spice up one other dish as well.
While the food arrived quickly, looking fresh and very tasty, we were disappointed because the only dish that had any sort of spice was the madras, and this was comparably more of a medium-low spice with other restaurants we've eaten at previously. The other spiced up dish, we couldn't discern from the dish we hadn't asked for extra spice.
It's a great little restaurant with wonderful staff, so we now know for next time that we need to ask for LOTS of spice if we're going to feel as if we're eating true Indian!

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Absolutely love going to Karma, unfortunately it's on the opposite side of Calgary from me so don't get out there as often as I would like but when I do I thoroughly enjoy the food, atmosphere and service!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Love to go there. I usually go in the evening, but this Friday went for lunch, they have a buffet at that time. It is a great value if you are a big eater (not me but hey!) I enjoy the evening better, however the waitress on Friday was very professional and friendly she stood out and I think it was worth mentioning.
I would definitely go back for the naan and saag gosht that are to die for. Beware of their Vindaloo though when they say hot they mean HOT, so make sure you can handle it.
The place is clean, staff is friendly and they are open quite late which is a plus in our area.

1  Thank Kriskm81