“Great ambience and service”

The Casbah Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Casbah Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #390 of 3,756 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Moroccan
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Beltline
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Had the 5 course dinner menu for 2.
Wonderful romantic décor and superb service. You can tell right away they pride themselves on providing a unique dining experience with the wonderful handwashing at the table before eating.
The lentil soup was a bit too salty and what I can only describe as a strong tomato paste taste and consistency. The mixed salad was much better, especially the beets and corn which had delicate flavours. The cinnamon on the carrots was a bit too strong. The next appetizer was deep fried phyllo pastries - one with spinach with cheese and the other with mergez - both were delicious but a bit heavy for an appetizer with the deep frying. We had the two tajine options on the menu for entrees - the lamb with preserved lemons and peas looked beautiful - but there were only two olives and one preserved lemon. I mustered the courage to ask for more lemon. To truly enjoy this dish however, I think one has to have every bite of meat with a sliver of lemon and olive. The Moroccan meatball tajine had beautiful potatoes and chickpeas that were molten with slow cooked flavor. Too bad both tajines were a bit too salty.
I should have prefaced this review with the fact that I'm a salt monger...I always tend to like food saltier than my friends and husband. So for me to find things salty...well, that's impressive.
The dessert was a very generic and unimpressive baklava with vanilla ice cream.
Overall, we loved the ambience, service and presentation of the meal. Perhaps the a la carte items were better? I would definitely go back to try it out. However, the set menu fell a bit short.

1  Thank Acinorev1

Reviewed November 7, 2013

I dine out very often and in the past 15 restaurants I have been to The Casbah Restaurant is by far my favourite. The service is hands down from the heart, they are welcoming and friendly. The atmosphere is warm and majestic, with just the right sounds playing to your ear. Such a beautiful setting for a traditional and flavourful stew of tender lamb with the perfect amount of sauce to dip that wonderful bread in. This is my new favourite place

1  Thank AmyPattison-Emms
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The Casbah is always our best choice in Calgary for Moroccan food. We keep going back regularly as a couple or with a group. the food is fresh and delicious. We tried other Moroccan restaurants but none do better than The Casbah.
Thank you for the warm welcome and the wonderful food and atmosphere!

1  Thank George L
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Terrible customer service, the owner/waiter gave opinions about a question my wife asked him if they had a salad with chicken (she's gluten intolerant) and his answer was : "This is not an american restaurant where you can have a Caesar salad with chicken... People come here for the food not to be served things we consider bad"... my wife informed him that we were there because we were meeting some friends. We'll never go there again. Looks cheap "romantic" with uncomfortable seats for eating (sofas and ottomans), some dusting is needed, it's in a basement and the way to the main door needs to be remodeled. A comment from one of our friends was: "In my country you bring your mistress to a place like this, dark and hidden, so nobody sees you", go figure...

2  Thank Ferdinand290
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The Casbah is a nice place to spend time with good friends or a romantic spot for a date. A magical setting straight from Morocco, an interesting menu of North African specialties (with lots of options for vegetarians), even a small selection of Moroccan beer and wine.

Be prepared to take your time - dinner will take a while, especially if you select one of the feasts. I'm not crazy about the dessert selection, but by the time you reach dessert, you probably won't have room anyways.

3  Thank JimBCalgary