“Beautiful place, very bad service, not good food”

The Casbah Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
The Casbah Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #430 of 3,575 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Moroccan
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Beltline
Calgary, Canada
“Beautiful place, very bad service, not good food”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I and 3 of my friends went there, this was their second time. We asked for two dishes to share between four of us, he brought the food which was very small and not well cooked meat and a simple taste, we asked for extra plate to share the food. he refused and said one of us can eat from main plate and other from the plate underneath. he also did not bring rose water for hand wash plus my friends said for the same dish he brought a larger portion for each one last time! for dessert also it was very small, and overall very expensive. we were really hungry with 100$ out of pockets. never go back again. waste of money

• Visited March 2013

Calgary, Canada
“exellent Morocan food.”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

had some guests coming from North Africa and I wanted to take them to a nice restaurant. I found the Casbah which came highly recommended, so we checked it out. Wow what a gem, in a lower level on 11th avenue sw, very unassuming. Once inside you realize you are somewhere very special. Upon our arrival we were promptly greeted and taken to our curtained booth, which was very comfortable. My guests told me they feel as if they never left their home country of Morocco. One of my friends had his mothers favourite tajine, which was medallions of lamb in a honey saffron sauce with prunes, almonds and sweet potatoes. He said it was even better than his mom's. I had the couscous with homemade sausage called merguez, with just the right amount of spice. Was it ever good. We also had Moroccan wine and beer with our meal which are exclusively brought in for the casbah. The staff was very kind and knowledgeable , my guests were chatting it up with our server in their native tongue. The manager told me that The Casbah is the only Moroccan restaurant in Calgary run by Moroccans and my guests confirmed that it is the real deal. Everyone was impressed, thank you for making me look like I know what I'm doing. I can't wait to go again.

3 Thank monti s
“Amazing!”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

"Girls night out"
It had been a year since my last visit, there were 8 women in my group and we all thoroughly enjoyed the wonderful food, the attentive and friendly service and the exotic ambiance. the restaurant filled up as the night went on and we were very comfortable in our private section to enjoy the conversation at our table. I will definitely return more often.

2 Thank Lamiama
calgary
“A trip to Morocco”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our dinner at The Casbah yesterday was top notch. From Morocco to Calgary The Casbah is the true meaning of exotic. The romantic and whimsical fells evokes feelings of being in the middle of Morocco with all its glory.
This exotic feel carries on through the food from the Bastella made with phyllo, chicken, caramelized onions, roasted almonds and saffron topped off with a light dusting of sugar and cinnamon to the buttery couscous topped with vegetables and a variety of meats that include chicken and lamb kebabs, prawns and beef sausage. Amazing!

Thank you Casbah and staff for treating Calgary to such an experience. Highly recommend!

3 Thank Ozicalg
London, Canada
“Rude service and way overpriced”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We were on a business trip from Toronto and decided to visit the Casbah. We had earlier gone to their website and it looked promising and inviting. We thought we would try something different. The restaurant was empty except for one table besides us. The rice and couscous dishes on the menu without the meat accompaniment were $18 and when we asked the waiter why it was so expensive he told us he has to pay $12,000 rent each month and that this is Canada. We at once informed him that we had been in Canada for 40 years and know the average prices of dishes in restaurants. This answer seemed very cocky to us. We were ready to walk out but since it was late we decided to stay. We found the food to be good but way overpriced. The waiter’s arrogance continued throughout dinner and finally he brought us a much higher bill then what we ordered. It is a good thing I checked. We told him about this error so he went away and produced another bill. He certainly needs to learn a thing about customer service and how to be polite. I will never go back to this restaurant. I am surprised that the management has done nothing about the rude service despite the comments I have read on Trip Advisor.

2 Thank Kassam8