“Not the Usual Standard”

Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“Not the Usual Standard”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I am generally a fan of Tandoori Hut, but today's dinner was disappointing. I visited with a friend who is here from overseas. We had a mixed appetizer which was good value (2 samosa, 2 pakora and 2 kabobs) for $7.95, but it was greasy and not very hot. The appetizer was served without any accompaniments and so we had to rely on the ones that were provided with the papadoms. We also ordered a chicken biriyani, which was terrible. It tasted like chicken cooked in spices mixed with boiled basmati rise, and a Lamb bhuna that, while flavourful, lacked any real heat. My friend ordered a rasmalai, which was really not very good at all. The texture was terrible. It was lumpy, had clumps of milk skin in it, and although it had a good cardamom flavour, the traditional rose water flavor was absent. Altogether, a disappointing meal. Kind of embarrassing as I had sold the idea of Tandoori Hut to him as one of Calgary's best Indian restaurants.

• Visited September 2013

“Went to get take-out at opening-wonder if I got food from the buffet”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I went to get take-out a few months ago and when we brought the food home (5 minute drive) the food-including fish curry, butter chicken and Korma and beef curry was barely warm(and no we didn't pick-up the order late). I wonder if the food came from the buffet? Not appetizing at all. And as all Calgarians know we pay way too much for Indian food in this city-13-18 dollars a dish, so it should be piping hot and tasty!

Maybe it was just a bad night for the restaurant, but a waste of 80$

• Visited May 2013
North Bay, Canada
“My Favourite Restaurant!”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

This is by far, the BEST Indian food I have ever had!

The atmosphere is awesome - Indian music and decor. The restaurant is quiet and the service is always fantastic.

I have been here several times for dinner and tried all of the dishes, but my favourite is the dinner for 2, as you get a little bit of everything! You also must have a rice pudding (kheer) and a chai tea before you go! They also have a buffet at lunch time, which is a great way to taste everything and see what you like best. The dishes are reasonably priced and large enough to take left-overs home.

• Visited August 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Consistently Good”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I am a huge fan of Indian food, and I like more or less all the different flavors that there are. The trouble with living in Calgary is that it is hard to find somewhere that does really good Indian food. Tandoori Hut is one of the better options. I very much like their Dal, they do a great butter chicken and some excellent vegetarian food as well. I'd love to see a few more options on their menu, but for the most part, food here always hits the spot. Highly recommended.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank anderses
Toronto, Canada
“Great Spot!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We visited here in July 2013, and this was my first Indian food experience. The service was excellent - attentive and understated. The restaurant is quite large compared to many Kensington restaurants, and the ambiance is nice.
We ordered butter chicken and nan - and rice (cannot remember the kind!) I loved it - not too spicy but not bland at all! Be sure to visit here when in the Kensington area of Sunnyside Hillhurst!

• Visited July 2013