“No longer just a milk bar!”
Review of Dairy Lane Cafe

Dairy Lane Cafe
Ranked #138 of 3,625 Restaurants in Calgary
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Dairy Lane has never been a milk bar, it was known mostly as one of Calgary's top breakfast places. They now serve dinner as well, 7 days a week. Moreover they take reservations and serve beer and wine.

They pride themselves on serving locally-grown and healthy food and they also cater to gluten-free and vegetarian/vegan diners.

The decor is minimalistic -- narrow (maybe 3 ft tops) formica-top tables, wooden chairs, and room for about 20 people -- plus an outdoor terrace in the summer. The tables are so rickety that if you lean on them, they will tip toward you and perhaps spill your drink! And every time the door opens, you get a blast of cold air (in the winter only, obviously).

The food is delicious and very reasonably priced. The service is pleasant but a bit on the slow side.

To sum up: A place with character and good food, very popular with the locals, but there are some rough spots. My favourite item on the menu is the pork burger.

The

1  Thank niemand
There are newer reviews for Dairy Lane Cafe

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I feel extremely lucky that this little gem is just blocks from my house. It is very popular so you can expect a bit of a wait for brunch on a weekend. That said, they will keep your coffee cup full while you wait. There is something for everyone on the breakfast/lunch menu. The food is fresh and, as much as possible, is locally sourced. They are also open for dinner with the highlight of the menu being the multitude of burgers. I'm vegetarian and there are several options for me no matter what time of day I go. My husband is celiac and also has lots of choices (even GF hamburger buns!). Highly recommended!

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I will start off by saying that I am not a 'brunch' person. I like a nice traditional breakfast out every once in a while -- so do expect that it will be cooked the way I like it -- when I do venture out for that all important first meal of the day. :)

Dairy Lane did just that. We had a group of 7 people meet for a mid morning breakfast on a recent weekday -- and everyone was very happy with their food. We met at 10:00 and had to wait for maybe 10 minutes before they had a table area large enough to accommodate us all (this is a tiny restaurant). No worries -- we were waiting in the back area where we were warm and had lots of good coffee.

The breakfast was very good -- the basic bacon and eggs were cooked exactly as ordered, the eggs benny got rave reviews, as did the burrito, and poached eggs.

Our waitress was great -- bringing coffee and juice refills throughout our meal.

Overall -- a great experience.

3  Thank Altius10
Reviewed November 21, 2012

This is a great place, small, quaint, with a real vibe. We were lucky we didn't have to wait to get a seat at 8:30 on a Friday morning but there was never an empty table. Three of us enjoyed three different breakfast dishes; the omelets and egg dishes were very unique, colourful and tasty. My oatmeal with berries, while not flashy, was hearty and delicious with big plump berries. I noticed the fuzzy blankets outside and the heaters on the patio; too cool for any outside activity in November but what a nice touch! Parking could by iffy but there's a good sidestreet around the corner with no restrictions. Lovely, easy, friendly atmosphere...a sweet spot.

1  Thank DLCAlberta
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Dairy Lane serves up plenty of atmosphere as well as plenty of great food. Allow extra time to roll through whether it's breakfast or lunch as there's always a line up because of it's small location. Hot coffee is ready for sipping while waiting for a table or cozy blankets on chilly days. Portions are huge! Recently they split an order of Stuffed French Toast, so my friend and I could share. Quite accommodating. This is a place you'll want to go back to over and over again. Prices are fair considering portion size, local use of products and general restaurant appeal. Small town atmosphere in the big city. Side note: lots of free street parking!

3  Thank CanadianMum