“Consistently great”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Centre Street
Transit: 1 block from the C-Train (City Centre of 1st SW stops)
Reviewed December 20, 2012

After many visits to this "Ocean Wise" restaurant, it is still our favorite. I have had only one slight disappointment. I ordered the nightly special which was fish and chips. The fish was suberb but the coating seemed a bit dark, dry and hard, like the oil was getting old. Just a slight negative after wonderful appetizers and soups and salad and other main courses.

1  Thank 1963chevy
There are newer reviews for Catch Oyster Bar

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I went here with business colleagues and the atmosphere was lively but relaxing and the food was AMAZING!!! If I had had more room I would have eaten it all again. I strongly recommend the sea bass and the roasted cauliflower!
Great private room at the back for large groups. They do have an upstairs but unfortunately I didnt go up there. They have a great long bar area where you can dine or enjoy a drink, lots of high tables in the central area and booths too, so a real mix of dining experiences

1  Thank lodgielodge2
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I went here twice with my wife recently and both times had great seafood. First time we shared the large shellfish tower. The oysters are excellent and I love the Snow Crab. Mussles also pretty good. The second time we went for some scallops and tempura starters followed by more Snow Crab. Starters good too, though of course scallops were quite small. The crab is awesome, especially if you enjoy cracking open the legs to get at the meat. They also have a comprehensive wine list, with some very quaffable wines at 50-60 dollars a bottle.
If you want a smart dress place then maybe the restaurant upstair is more appropriate while this one has a clientelle mixed between smart and more casual people. Not cheap though. Service excellent!

1  Thank gary3000
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Catch is a disappointment. Crab cakes bear no resemblance to anything on the East Coast. Small, greasy and lacking spices. The accompanying remoulade was flavourless. Albacore Tuna Hot Melt had a tin-can flavour and again, lacked seasoning. It was grilled in way too much butter. Clam chowder contained corn that seemed to be from the frozen food section, all in a tasteless white creamy (I hesitate to say cream) based sauce. Fish (one piece!) and chips, were small but the fries were decent. Given the prices, this place should be way better. At least the service was half decent (although since when do high end restaurants allow jeans??) There are many better places to get seafood in Calgary, and at better prices.

2  Thank YYC_Foodie
Reviewed November 5, 2012

This restaurant is right in the heart of Calgary and attached to one of the best hotels in the city, the Hyatt Regency. When the space was created years ago, the designers faithfully recreated the look of many an oyster bar from the East or from San Francisco. In its early years under the guidance of then head chef Michael Noble, Catch provided an authentic and adventurous experience. When the very talented Mr. Noble left the restaurant stumbled and the business was sold to the Hyatt. My wife and I, having not been there in couple of years, decided to give it another try while having a romantic get-away at the hotel.
After having a cocktail in the Thompson Lounge across the lobby, we dropped in for a late dinner. We like to take our time at dinner and choose our entree while we enjoy an appetizer. We ordered a dozen raw West Coast oysters. These came on a large round tray covered in ice with two small cups, one holding mignonette sauce and another that we were told was a hot sauce. The oysters were fresh and of very good quality. Unfortunately their presentation was poor because they looked like they'd just been haphazardly tossed onto the bed of ice. The sauces were weak, especially the so-called hot sauce so we asked for Tabasco (something that should be standard fare with raw oysters).
The wife and I then ordered another appetizer, still on the oyster path. This time our order was for "buffalo oysters" something we'd never had. What arrived were six lightly breaded warm oysters drenched in Franks Red Hot Sauce. Okay, but not creative at all. This was more like something one would expect out of a cheap pub rather than a high end restaurant.
Finally, we had another cocktail and flagged our waitress to get our entree orders in. It was at that point that we were told that the kitchen was closed. Looking around we could see the place still had many diners and people enjoying drinks. We had not been told that the kitchen was closing or ever approached to see if we needed anything else. My wife and I finished up our drinks and left very disappointed and still hungry.
For a restaurant that is affiliated with a high-end hotel and has prices for its food and drinks to match, our experience left a great deal to be desired.

2  Thank AngusMulvaney