“Love it”

Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Alyth - Bonnybrook - Manchester
“Love it”
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

One of the best pizza joints in the city, can always find a table and the service is excellent. The Calamari? oh my lord, some of the best I ever had....and I'm European.

Highly recommend it and get that Calamari!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank John T

Calgary, Canada
“Pre Cooked Pasta not Exactly Authentic Italian”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We went to Il Centro after hearing all of the glowing reviews. After travelling extensively throughout Italy many times, and having just returned only two weeks earlier, I was excited for the true Italian experience.

Boy, were we disappointed! I had the Penne Calabrese, and my wife had Linguine in a Pomodoro sauce. Like one of the other reviewers, I too had to ask the waiter what exactly the different sauces meant. There was no mention of the choice of pastas that you could have with any of them.

Nothing says "non authentic" to me than to get a plate of mush for your pasta. It was obviosly pre-cooked (blanched) so that they could serve it quickly (the restaurant was very busy). Sadly the majority of Italian restaurants in Canada and certainly the USA do the same, as most people are not patient enough to wait while the pasta is cooked to order. If you find one that does (Mercato), you will definitely notice the difference. You will NEVER receive pre cooked pasta in Italy!

Perhaps I need to try the pizza. Although it looked good, it didn't appear to be anything at all like the pizzas I just had in Napoli. Authentic Neapolitan? I don't think so. Try Pulcinella's for the real deal.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank BarCalgary_Canada
Calgary
“Great Italian”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This family-run restaurant is a hidden gem off the beaten path. They have authentic Italian food with a good wine selection. Their gnocchi in rose sauce is the best I've ever had!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Spooky C
“Great Pizza”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Awesome, authentic Neapolitan pizza; great family atmosphere; although sometimes a bit too busy, be sure to make a reservation....

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Chip B
Calgary, Canada
“Excellent food but bad service and overpriced”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Four of us went to Il Centro for dinner - the place is extremely hot and stuffy inside, and our served sat us right beside the kitchen. They had all of the windows and curtains closed tight (on a beautiful sunny day.)

Our server who seemed to perhaps also be the manager was almost too prompt and rushed our drinks orders, pretty much telling my boyfriend and his dad what beer they wanted (the most expensive one.) He never smiled or actually made eye contact with anyone - there were several times where I was speaking to him and he was staring across the restaurant, oblivious.

Ordering wasn't very pleasant - again we were rushed, but the pasta menu wasn't very clear. They list the dishes by sauce - and you can choose what kind of pasta you'd like. But it doesn't describe a.) what some of the sauces actually are and b.) if the dish comes with anything and what. And for $20.00+ per dish, I want to know what I'm actually getting. When my boyfriend's Mom and I asked out waiter about this he kind of scoffed and muttered answers as if it should be obvious. Unfortunately I do not read minds and couldn't have known that Rose Sauce came with Ham and Mushrooms! He then told us we could just have whatever as they make it fresh - ok, that's good.

All of our food was fantastic - both the pasta and especially the pizza was phenomenally good. No complaints whatsoever, everything was delicious.

When we got our bill, it was substantially more than we had expected - I wasn't aware that I would be charged $7.00 extra just to substitute ham for a tiny piece of chicken in my pasta dish. So the 'have whatever you want in it' does come at a price. Drinks were way too much - something like $8.50 for a Caesar made mostly of water.

Overall the food is terrific, but I wouldn't go back - it's not difficult to find a meal that's just as good somewhere else for half the price and with service that is at least half friendly.

• Visited July 2012