“Unexpected great food” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belgo Brasserie - CLOSED

Belgo Brasserie
Cuisines: American, French, Mediterranean, Canadian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 8th Ave 4 St
Transit: Located one block south of 7th Ave SW, a major public transit route that passes through downtown utilized by the c-train as well as a number of buses.
Ontario
“Unexpected great food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

Came here on the recommendation of my husband's friend and his wife as they live in Calgary and were wanting to try this place out. We noted it had nice decor but kind of loud; more like a fancy bar scene. Our server was ok, she was missing in action for most of the evening and a little slow on the service. The drink selection is great; had my favourite beer (Delirium Tremens) which I only find in Toronto at the Biermarkt so I was very impressed. Food is a little on the pricey side, especially for a bar scene, but all of the food was excellent; delicious, great presentation, cooked perfectly. Drinks were also on the pricey side and the fact that it was so loud in the restaurant and hard to carry a conversation, we had to take our after dinner plans elsewhere. Thought it would be bad food as we thought it was one of those fancy gimmicky bar scenes but was pleasantly surprised. It's not my favourite, but the food was great and I would recommend trying this place.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Calgary, Canada
“Save your money...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

Long story short -- Save your money and go elsewhere. The service at Belgo is incredibly slow, the prices are quite high, and the food can best be described as adequate.

My issues? It shouldn't take 2.5 hours to get a chicken wrap. You shouldn't need to ask three times to get a $10 beer. And when you ask for the bill, waiting an additional half hour is just insulting.

My first visit will be my last, and I hope this review prevents someone else from wasting their time and money at Belgo.

• Visited January 2013
4 Thank James C
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Belgo Business Lunches”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

Belgo is located right on 8th Avenue S.W., in the central part of the downtown business district, close to the new 8th Avenue Place, The CORE shopping centre, Banker's Hall and the new Calgary Courts Centre. It is one block from LRT stations which run in both directions. I like the Belgo for business lunches and have been there many times. The place can be quite busy and for that reason the service can be just fair sometimes but it is generally above average. I recently was very pleased to notice that the staff was quite attentive to the level in my glass of soda and lime juice and kept the glass full even though it was not an alcoholic beverage. The food is generally very good at lunch and I recommend the specials. The patron can pick two courses from the list of daily specials which are often tasty and served promptly. I don't drink much at lunch but have browsed the wine list which appears to be very comprehensive.

• Visited December 2012
Calgary
“The Worst I've Ever Had!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

I went to Belgo's for their breakfast today and it was disgusting. Not only did it take them 90 minutes to serve us anything other than cold coffee, the food that came out was the worst I've ever seen. The Monte Cristo was horrible, served with no cheese and was flat as a pancake. The meat was deli meat, no real turkey or ham. My order was their spicey breakfast hash which was served with french fries. French fries!!! No hashbrowns or chunks of potatoe, but greasy fries from probably the day before. It wasn't spicey either, and the sausage was questionable. The rest of the table was either missing hashbrowns, toast or some other part of their meal. They were also out of orange juice. Who's ever out of orange juice? We were told by management that they were short staffed, which is a very common excuse. The place wasn't busy and breakfast is so easy to make. The service was poor as well. I would highly recommend not going here and try a place that can make breakfast and not overcharge you.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Laura S
Calgary, Canada
“Great ambiance but disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

This restaurant is in a great location, right on 8th Ave SW. The restaurant is huge with a nice ambiance. The food is disappointing. By the time we got our food, it tasted like it had sat in the kitchen under warmers for awhile. Nothing interesting on the menu and the beer selection was just okay. The service was slow and the servers were dressed for a night at the bar not for serving high priced food and drink. Their dress detracted from the feel of the restaurant. We went to this restaurant a few years ago and had a great experience. Too bad they couldn't keep up the quality of this restaurant.

• Visited October 2012