Tripadvisor
Calgary
Post
Inbox
Search

“Good management equals good restaurant”

Rodney's Oyster House
Ranked #120 of 4,472 Restaurants in Calgary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in the Beltline District in down town Calgary, Rodney's Oyster House is your "go to" place for freshly shucked oysters! Our selection of oysters changes daily, but we carry on average 10-16 different varieties from around the world. We also strive to offer the finest in fresh seafood, sourced from sustainable fisheries - as we work primarily with fresh product, you'll have to come down and see what's coming through our doors this week.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

From the beginning so accommodating. There are steps at the front ,hen I said my husband now has mobility issues no problem we can let you in the back,don't want a high top table ,no problem. Brad the manager made sure we were comfortable asked sevral times if we were ok .and we were lovely table ,a place for a walker.
Oysters,yes clam chowder good taste ,not many clams though. Very nice batter on the fish and chips. Creme brule very good.again brad helping us out made for a really nice evening.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (167)

Reviewed December 31, 2019

We met friends at Rodney's for dinner. We each started with a happy hour special of 6 oysters and a drink. The oysters were excellent and Rodney's offers a wide range of condiments to have with oysters. We found a nice well priced champagne to pair with our food. We followed with the land and sea special of a well prepared steak with prawns. Food we well prepared. The server had a great personality and made the experience.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed December 28, 2019

We used to think highly of Rodney’s considering it one of those weekend dinners you looked forward to. Great experiences with the food, staff, and atmosphere. Until our last couple visits. Hadn’t gone in about half a year and the last couple visits were each more disappointing then the last. The service was still pretty good but the food was quite disappointing. This last visit we ordered the Land & Sea special. Steak, 3 tiny scallops, veggies and fingerling potatoes for $38. Rodney’s prices are usually on the high side, and normally I don’t mind paying more as the food used to be pretty good, but what we received on our last visit was the equivalent of what you would expect for a Saturday afternoon steak sandwich special at your local neighbourhood pub and scallops similar to what you’d see on your plate if you were ordering from one of the 9.95 pasta restaurants. Ok but very tiny and nothing special. Steak flavour was ok but very thin cut with lots of grizzle. The veggies consisted of 4 mushrooms and 3 thin slices of red pepper, both with very little flavour. Nothing on the dish complimented or dazzled. Not sure what to say other than, come on.......for $38 at least try to excite my taste buds!! Otherwise what are you doing cooking. Think that was the last visit for me. It’s gotta be bang for your buck, exceptional flavour, or cheep prices, and I experienced none of the above.

Date of visit: December 2019
Discover33506524716, Owner at Rodney's Oyster House, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2020

Hello Kim,

I'm very disappointed to here about your last few visits with us here at Rodney's.

This not a proper representation of what we do, and I would like the opportunity to have you back and personally take care of you!

If you could email me at gm@rodneyscalgary.com so we can set up a time and date that would be great!

Warm regards,

Bradley Conrad

Reviewed November 9, 2019 via mobile

Ok, still giving it a four as it is really good. But I see room for improvement. The ambiance is great. I sat at the bar and watched an expert oyster shucker chat up the crowd and talk about the different kids of oysters all while working quickly. My server got me as far as taking my order but, even tho he was still there, I had to flag someone down for a drink and then for the check. I had the lobster roll. The lobster itself was perfectly cooked. However, the bun was off sides. The bread-to-lobster ratio was wrong, with way too much bread, and the bun was a harder toasted brioche which just isn’t the right bread for a lobster roll. It came with an excellent arugula salad, but was served on a piping hot plate so the salad was really wilty. And the skinny shoestring fries were great and the portion size was huge, more than I wanted or needed. On a previous visit I had the clam chowder, which was fine, but too many potatoes and not enough clamminess. Really felt more like a potato soup. So, I’ll still go again as it is a really interesting place to people watch and the food is good.

Date of visit: November 2019
Reviewed November 8, 2019

We loved the building and the atmosphere so was really excited to order our meal. Started with the "Crab" soup, which had about one tablespoon of shredded crab which added nothing to the taste of the soup. Overall it was bland and the crab was not the star of the soup. I ordered Mussels in green curry and frites, the mussels were somewhat better but not steller the curry was too similar to the soup. The fries came out coolish as well as soggy so I sent them back. The next batch was hot and crunchy on the very top but once you dug they were greasy and soggy. I did not eat them and mentioned it to the server. Once the bill came I noted that they charged full price for my meal. You would think after two uneaten orders of fries they would have done something to acknowledge this either on the bill or offer coffee and dessert. Overall not their best night.

Date of visit: November 2019