“great service”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Northeast Calgary
Reviewed July 3, 2014

8 people in our group and 4 were "discerning" tweens so not the easiest group to serve and keep happy but the server managed to do so with a smile and she was very accommodating.

Reviewed May 12, 2014

Tony Roma's MacLeod Trail - took my elderly parents there on Saturday, May 10/14 as a Mother's Day dinner (went a day early thinking it wouldn't be so busy). Arrived at 4:20 p.m. and were seated quickly having made reservations. Waiter took our drink orders and returned fairly quickly. One cocktail and one virgin Caesar - drinks were in tumblers with ice to the top - very little drink in them - a rip off. We were not told of any specials, or any recommended meals. Food orders were given and then it took 30 minutes for food to be put on the table. The waiter never came back to see if everything was okay or if we needed anything. Both my Mother and I wanted butter for her baked potato and my rice. We had both drank our drinks so would have liked something else - even water. After glaring down the waiter he came over to see if we were "still working on it" - and I told him I was done - having not finished the plate of food in front of me. He asked if I wanted to take it home and I said yes - and my Father wouldn't be finishing all of his either. He disappeared and came back with 2 Styrofoam containers, handed them to me and took off again. A few minutes later when my Mom was done eating, he came and said "did we want out bill right away" - and I said yes. He brought the bill, placed it on the center of the table and walked away. Not impressed. The bill came to $89.25 and he was left $90.00 - which gave him a 75 cent tip - Lousy Service - Lousy Tip - which is what I wrote on the bill left with payment. On the way out I informed the woman at the entrance that I only left a 75 cent tip because the service was terrible. She apologized and said she'd speak to the waiter.

I understand that older folks tend not to be generous with tips - does this mean that they get lousy service because there isn't a good tip in it for them? I don't know if this is the reason we were not serviced well but I wonder...... The waiter had no idea who was picking up the tap - it was "their daughter". I have never in my life not left a decent tip at a restaurant. This however infuriated me. I took my parents out for what should have been a very nice meal and this is what we got. The food was okay - some of the ribs were over cooked and burnt. Had we received the service from the waiter that I think you pay for with the price of the meals he would have received a $15 tip minimum....his loss. Would I recommend this location to eat - absolutely not. The atmosphere is not that great, tables are very close together and the service sucks! Go elsewhere!

1  Thank Colleen B
TR_TonyRomas, Public Relations Manager at Tony Roma's, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Hi Colleen,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. We would like to apologize for your recent visit on May 10th, 2014. After reading your review there were a few things that resonated with us and we would like to assure you that these issues will be addressed. We apologize for the service that you received -- from checking on the table to bringing to-go containers, we should have provided much more, polite and professional service. Would you mind writing to the following email address: socialmedia@romacorp.com? We'd like to hear more from you and make sure that we reach out to you on a more personal basis. Please include your contact information, a brief description of your visit and which location you visited as all of this information would be very helpful. We hope to hear from you soon.

Team TR

Reviewed August 22, 2013

While visiting Calgary, this wasn't my first choice of restaurants but the others were out of business or closed. It was recommended to me by a fan and I'm glad it was, The experience was a delight, with prompt polite service and the rack of beef ribs was incredibly delicious. I will make it a point to visit next time I am in town.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Maybe it was because we were late. But the beef was nowhere near as good as it was at Tony Roma Niagara a few months ago. We had rib, but it was not as good as beforehand. The straight New York roast - which would have been better had it not been off the menu. Service was OK. The place was rather dark - though some people prefer that!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

To start off with the menu was hard to read...the fine print black on orange...not good. The menu said regular or Roma size for the Prime rib ...not explaining what that meant. I asked how many mushrooms do you get with and order and the waitress made a tiny shape about the size of two loonies. The coffee was cold....warm. My meal was barley warm, and actually parts were cold, like the potatoes. The waitress mixed up what side we ordered. The so called MEDALIONS were tough and basically inedible. The ribs were good. The prime rib had to be reheated also ( instead of just bringing me a new order. The person I was with had a "birthday meal" pass. The manager should have given us both our meals for free and given us a free pass for another meal, but he just knocked a few bucks off. I was not impressed in the least and will NEVER go back to TONY ROMA'S.

2  Thank RobertJFisherCalgary