“We had the best meal in a long time...”

The Vintage Chophouse & Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
The Vintage Chophouse & Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #39 of 3,537 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Steakhouse, American, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Beltline
Cross street: 2nd St.
Description: Like a private club, step in to the intimate speakeasy groove of The Vintage Chophouse & Tavern for handcrafted cocktails set to the best local live jazz and blues in Calgary's historic Beltline neighbourhood, Victoria Park. The adjoining dining room is an Alberta institution for culinary classics like steaks and chops done right by our kitchen team. Named for its exceptional wine program, Vintage cellars more than 600 wines from around the world, dialed up by its sommelier service and has achieved Wine Spectator Best of Award of Excellence many years running.Exposed brick walls, crisp white linens, hewn oak accents and studded deep-seat booths curate corners for private conversation. Designed to balance familiarity with discretion in service and style.
Calgary, Canada
“We had the best meal in a long time...”
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The service here is fantastic we had reservations and we were seated and then our server gave us a choice of waters.which were always kept full and served chilled. We then had our drink order and appetizer order taken..My husband had the escargots and I had the shrimp cocktail...they were both fantastic ..I had the biggest prawns I have ever had here in Calgary and plenty of them,oh yeah we had warm bread as well. Then for our dinner my husband had the lobster mac and cheese there was heavenly sizes of lobster and it tasted so go and cheesy ..I had the prime rib with smashed potatoes..I had the 10 oz it was so tender and cooked so good you could cut it with a fork..had no complaints that was for sure and our server was always asking how we were and even took our picture for us..for dessert yes I said dessert...lol we split a strawberry baked alaska omg you have to have this it was so good yummo....lol

Anyway the service here is so fantastic I am a little disabled I can't walk to good most times without my can and there were some stairs to the ladies room and one of the gentlemen that worked there helped me down the stairs and showed me directly to the ladies room no pointing he took me there made sure I was okay. I would never hesitate recommending this restaurant to any one nice and cozy or you can go to the pub have a drink or to watch sports on the tv's and visit with friends it was a Friday night and the place was hopping....

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank debdun

• Korean first
“Above Expectations”
Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

Recently had a late dinner here with high expectations of the food and service. We were there for a special occasion and had notified them ahead of time. We were seated in a semi-private booth and were treated to a glass of champagne to start. Our server fully explained the cuts of meat available on the meat block. We started the evening with escargot and scallops which were cooked to perfection. We ordered some red wine with our main entree off the extensive wine list after a recommendation also from our server. Our entrees were the prime rib with Oscar topping and prime rib. For sides we had the lemongrass asparagus and cultured mushrooms. The prime rib was cooked to perfection and melts in our mouths. The only little complaint was maybe a little too much lemongrass for our liking on the asparagus but the mushrooms were to die for. After our meal we shared crime brûlée which was fantastic along with a glass of fine port.
We went with high expectations and they were exceeded!

1 Thank John F
Calgary, Canada
“WOW that was the best steak I have every eaten!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

We started off with the seafood tower and our server was absolutely accommodating when we stated that none of us liked oysters, she quickly offered to switch that out. The the educational session on steaks was very helpful when deciding what to order .... the steak melted in your mouth, best steak I have ever had, the whole meal right down to the dessert was unbelievable. The atmosphere is calm including the lounge and the lounge too is a very cozy atmosphere. Thank you Vintage, we'll be back.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Jo-El B
Calgary, Canada
“Quite possibly, the best steak I've ever eaten!”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Vintage Chophouse and Tavern was quite possibly, the best steak I have ever had. They serve quality cuts of Alberta beef (locally-sourced...yay!) Each main dish comes with a choice of one classic side which is nice because a lot of steak houses make you pay extra for every single side dish. Their appetizers were very good. My girlfriend had the steak tartare and I had the tuna tartare.

All the dishes were fresh and full of flavour, but the steak stands far apart, all by itself. Incredible.

The service left little to be desired. While fairly attentive, my server was lacked in personality and seemed a bid stand-offish or maybe even snobbish. Service was nothing to write home about and represents and area where this restaurant could probably pull up its socks. However, that said, the host and hostess we met when first entering the restaurant were very warm and friendly.

Overall, a wonderful experience and I would return.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank capebretonboy
crazytreamtravel
“Excellent steak...the rest just average”
Reviewed November 2, 2012 via mobile

Sat in the bar on a slow weekday. Stylish Resturant, with friendly staff. The steak was first rate, particularly compared to steaks home in the UK.

The sides were average, would have expected better taste and quality. The wine list was good.

I would return, but there must be better steakhouses in Calgary.

1 Thank Crazyteamtravel