“Not as good as it used to be”
Review of King & I Thai Cuisine - CLOSED

King & I Thai Cuisine
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Beltline
Cross street: 7 & 8 ST SW
Transit: The restaurant is very accessible with the C-Train , Bus service provided by the City of Calgary.
Description: The King & I was the first restaurant to introduce Thai food to Calgary. Since 1988 this upscale Thai dining room has been serving signature dishes designed to tempt you. And designed is the operative word at The King & I. Winner of numerous awards, The King & I offers beautiful, stylish series of elegant and contemporary dining rooms with superb ambiance. The setting, which is truly conducive to lingering over dinner, the service and unique, delectable dishes combine to create an evening that shouldn't be missed by anyone appreciative of fine cuisine.
Calgary, Canada
“Not as good as it used to be”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We've been eating at the King and I for several years and we do feel that although some dishes are still very good (the chicken peanut wrap appetiser is awesome), some of the regular dishes are not as good as they used to be. I always order the lamb curry and it used to be amazing but the last two times the flavour has been bland and the dish is really oily. I took half home to eat the next day and it was so oily, it was discusting and I had to pick around the oil part to eat the rest.

The other issue I have with this place is the price for the portions and quality. The White Elephant has way better food for much less money. We had 2 orders of the wraps and 3 entrees with rice, no drinks or dessert whatsoever and the bill was over $100. Also, at one point our server used our table to struggle opening a bottle of wine for another table, hitting the bottle on our table a couple of times. I have never seen a server do this. She was very nice and attentive to us but maybe a bit unskilled.

I don't think we'll be rushing back any time soon but I'm sure we'll give it a go again one day and hope by then, things have improved.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank FluffyBunnyFeet

Red Deer, Canada
“The Best 60th Birthday Meal A Girl Could Have”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My Sons live in Calgary and for my 60th birthday they set up a full day of activities. At 7pm our group of six dined at the King and I Thai Cuisine - one of the boys had ordered the Chefs Special. That meant we ordered our cocktails, but we did not order our food off the menu. Instead a selection of dishes for the appetizers and the main course were selected by the chef and served family style with a large round lazy susan turntable in the middle so the food was easily passed and shared. We enjoyed it ever so much, even the really spicy sauces mixed well with the rice and with one another. In general, the meal sustained us through a long night of entertainment and fun, we enjoyed each bite.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank Sharyn L
New Westminster, Canada
“Some of the best Thai food I've had”
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Everything was fresh and tasty. A bit expensive, but you certainly get what you pay for

Visited July 2012
Calgary
“great food, excellent service”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

great food, so very flavorful, and wonderful service.

Visited June 2012
Calgary, Canada
“Expensive, but yummy.”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

It's a higher end restaurant with great food. Great place to go on a date.