“Needs an update”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Cross street: Center Street
Description: First, unwind in the lounge with a martini and soak in the New York atmosphere. Relax in the custom made furniture as you enjoy the view through the Belvedere's two skylights. Then, ready yourself to be amazed at the magic you'll experience amongst the plush draperies, walnut woodwork and discreet lighting as you dine on a menu that can only be described as true "Haute Cuisine". With a menu that is ever changing you can rest assured the ingredients are always fresh and always of the highest quality. With your palate satiated by the perfect pairing of food and your selection from one of our 750 wines served in Riedel Crystal, you'll experience why Awards and reviews have placed The Belvedere as "The Best Restaurant Overall" in Calgary; routinely in the top ten in Canada and for the past fifteen years by the Wine Spectator Magazine as having one of the top wine lists worldwide and recipient of the "Best of Award of Excellence". "The Belvedere" renowned for its exceptional service and deft handling of its accomplished clientele as it is for the wonderfully wrought food. Allow us to show you what fine dining is all about.
Calgary, Canada
“Needs an update”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We visited the Belvedere, after reading wonderful reviews, this last weekend. Really, nothing that I can criticize as being horrible. Everybody was friendly, the atmosphere was lovely on a cold night and we were received warmly. It is just... in a competitive city like Calgary with so many wonderful restaurants, nothing stood out. We enjoyed the five course meal, but the first three courses was just one bite presented on a crostini or cracker.
Not a lot of creativity, the garnishing was the same for all the dishes. I just expected so much more!
Steak was perfectly cooked, but we were never asked how we would like our steak done. I guess Chef decides.

If you are interested, I have a few suggestions:
1. Go to QHaute for their five course meal, take notes.
2. Be a bit more open and receptive to food likes and dislikes and/or allergies when presenting the chef's dinner. It was disappointing to be told "no changes allowed" even if certain foods make you sick (although, in the end, I did receive a replacement - I don't want to fight for it).
3. Wine pairing is important. It would be much more appreciated if you present the bottle and pour the wine at the table, rather than showing up with pre-poured wine and just rambling the name of the wine. It robbed us of the opportunity to get to know the wines and appreciate them better.
4. Two sweet, two white and only one red wine?? Of course, this is personal taste but a robust, full, red wine is important. Not just an American cab.
Despite all my critique, we had a nice evening. I honestly feel that this is a place with so much history and instead of growing complacent, management should update old-fashioned ideas and bring in something fresh.

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank Liz V

calgary
“great food”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

We arrived late there was no problem staying open for us with a cheerful attitude!Food was great as usual!Highly recommend this restaurant,definitely above the rest!!

1 Thank Will D
Daytona Beach, Florida
“SUPERB FOOD”
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My wife and I have tried all the high-end Calgary restaurants and were very happy we finally tried The Belvedere. Our evening was enhanced by the friendly and experienced waiter who guided us through the menu with care and attention. For apps we tried the brie and a salad; the brie was large and wrapped in pastry and was absolutely delicious. For mains we had the Beef Wellington and Rack of Lamb. The lamb was the best I have eaten, almost melting in my mouth. We split a desert (Belgian chocolate bomb!) and the rich flavours reminded us of our time in Belgium. I would have liked to have seen snails as an appetizer- maybe next time. The decor was fine and the tables well spaced apart, however, the music didn't suit my taste. We'll be back and recommend this place to our fine dining friends.

1 Thank Calgary-Bill L
Edmonton, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“NEVER DINE WHERE YOU CAN GET SICK AFTERWARDS.”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Worst dining experience is when you go home and you feel like you ate something rotten. The service may be okay but the quality of the food is below average.

1 Thank Marie o
Eckman
“One of THE great meals! Wonderful service, too!”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband and I had lunch here on our last day in Canada, and were totally delighted. We walked in without reservations only a few minutes before they closed, but we were charmingly seated and served, and allowed, as were other guests, to linger for ages as we enjoyed every morsel of the delicious food and wine. We had Alberta pheasant confit, w/green peppercorn jus and candied orange,.Alberta beef tartare, Gaufrette potatoes in duck fat; seared Quebec foie gras with an ice wine gelee and pecan praline; Canadian Oysters w/raspberry & pepper mignonette... Our server was charming, knowledgeable, and fun. Seriously- does it get better than this?!

• Visited October 2013