“Pleasant Thai Restuarant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Juree's Thai Place Restaurant
Ranked #99 of 3,490 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Alberta, Canada
“Pleasant Thai Restuarant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I tried a few dishes with my family while we visited to make on a small business trip and my favorite Thai dish, Pad Thai is just as delicious in Thailand as it is here. :) I must emphasize that Thai food is so delicious that it's no wonder people gain weight easily from eating Thai food in Thailand if they don't watch it. The little downside is the amount of food we get on our plate seems not enough for the price as compared to other places. And the stir-fried rice with prawn and gai lan tastes basic. Besides that, this is a nice tropical-themed restaurant. And I like the touch of white and purple dropping flowers that makes it feel furthermore refreshing.

• Visited August 2013

• Thai first
Calgary, AB
“Very bad lunch experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2013

I was looking for a Thai lunch buffet last week and thought I'd try Juree's. I was seated promptly at a table near the front, behind a folding screen and out of site. That would be good if this place had servers who paid attention. More on that later.

I went right up to the buffet. The first dish I encountered as "special pork salad". It had chopped up slices of olive loaf in it. It looked so strange I just had to try it. I guess it must have been from the little-known Bavarian part of Thailand. The taste was just OK.

Next up came the rice. It was thick, gooey, and lumpy. My first reaction was that it must be coconut rice which sometimes gets that consistency. It wasn't. It was simply very badly prepared rice.

I filled my plate with selections from the buffet trays. There's not very much selection - only 5 or 6 items. When I got to the last tray I encountered the soup. Why put it at the end? I can't stand it when restaurants can even comprehend the basic logistics of how people eat a meal. I took my plate back to my table and returned for soup. Good thing, as it was probably the best part of the meal. The rest of the meal was OK. Nothing to rave about but not terrible either.

The service at Juree went beyond bad. It's truly hard to provide bad service at a buffet. All you really have to do is seat people quickly, fill their water glass, and bring them a cheque or cash them out quickly once they've finished. The only part of that which Juree's did was seat me promptly. Once seated I only saw my server again twice. The first time was on the way up to the buffet where whe walked across the front of me, almost hitting me. The second time was on my way up to pay. On that occasion she actually did hit me - literally pushed me out of the way with a tray of dishes as she was on her way to bus a table. I then had to stand at the cash register for 2 minutes while she set the table and sauntered back over to take my money. She didn't come to the back (front) of the restaurant to fill water glasses, drop of cheques, or check on her tables (I wasn't the only one back there) even once. There are people who are simply so rude and obnoxious that they shouldn't be allowed to work in food service, and my server was one of them.

I won't be back.

• Visited August 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TravelSkeptic43
“wonderful!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is our "special" reataurant in calgary. The atmosphere is great and the food is amazing ! A favorite place to eat . A favorite place to take friends & family .

• Visited June 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Not so good of a service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

I would have given this place 3 stars but was turned off by the service the moment we walked in. We arrived at 9:08 and 2 servers saw us and spoke in their language. It took them awhile to come to us and one of them said: "our kitchen will close in 15 mins and we will close at 10 (which was a little less than an hour). Is that enough time for you?" She was kinda expecting i'd say no, but because i was craving for rice and there are not much choices where we were staying, i said it was fine. We were seated but then no one came to the table to get our orders. I would assume they should have since they know we only have a limited time before the kitchen closes. I had to get the attention of one of the servers to place our order. Around 9:45, the same server kept looking at our table and obviously checking if we're done, to think that there were a few tables with people still eating who were there before us. Food was good though, i cant complain. We had the spicy noodles and the seafood with basil. Both were equally good. Pricewise, this was a bit overpriced compared to regular thai restos. $16 for the seafood and $13 for the noodles which is not a generous serving. I guess you pay for the pleasant decor. Overall I was very pleased with the quality of food, but the indifferent service says otherwise. I will try other establishments who will be happy to get my business.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank alena_724
Calgary
“Is the Service the best part?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

We had a huge order (15 people) delivered to our house for a party. Wondering, based on others' reviews, if the appeal is the supposed great service? We missed out on that by eating at home?
I found the food to be expensive and not as flavourful as my other favourites in Calgary.
I am willing to go to the restaurant and give it another try.
I'm also curious as to how you take a shabby old Burger King and get people writing reviews about it feeling like "an authentically Thai experience." Anxious to see!

• Visited May 2013