“A neat place, but not the best selection of sushi.”
Review of Sushi Boat

Sushi Boat
Ranked #1,153 of 3,624 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Japanese
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Sushi boat is fun, but there is quite a limited selection of sushi on the little boats.They seem to load up the boats with only 2 or 3 different dishes at a time. It takes 20 minutes to half an hour for the selection to change significantly. If you're looking for something different you can order from the menu, but it takes quite a while to get the food compared to other sushi restaurants. The tables are a bit small and can get a bit cramped as the empty plates pile up.

Vegetarian items are sometimes available on the boats, but I'd recommend to ordering from the menu to make sure that you get enough to eat. The quality of the food is good and the atmosphere is pretty neat. Expect to wait 15 to 20 minutes for a table on the weekends.

1  Thank SparkleMountain
There are newer reviews for Sushi Boat

Reviewed December 31, 2011

I love Sushi Boat. My boyfriend and I make this place a regular eating out spot. The service is amazing, the food is unreal and it comes around in cute little boats so you can pick and choose what you want. They also have an order menu and there take out service is very fast. The only downfall of Sushi Boat is that there always seems to be a line up to sit down, therefore, the take out menu is amazing! You must try this sushi restaurant!

1  Thank kimberlyjane12
Reviewed December 1, 2011

I'm serious about the title. My family and I have been ordering one BIG meal a week, for as long as this joint has been open. I want a discount. I want a pair of silver plated chopsticks. A gold card membership that gets me extra soy sauce. Something.

Despite the fact that I've never received anything from these folks in return for the life savings poured into this place, it's time I give them a proper review.

Sushi aficionados who have eaten in Japan, New York, Toronto, Vancouver, etc will almost certainly sneer at the five stars I'm giving this place. But they need to understand the context.

This place is in a strip mall. Located in a bigger strip mall. Which in turn is located in a strip mall complex the size of a small town. In Calgary. 'Nuff said. The exterior is plain. The menu is basic. In terms of subtlety of approach, or complexity of menu, there are sushi places in Calgary that are better. But, if you want to come with your family, or order take out that is extraordinarily fresh, fast, with excellent service, delicious and utterly consistent day after day, and year after year then this is the place in Calgary.

That’s why you need to be prepared for a wait when you arrive. Every day of the week.

The interior is a bar, inside which boats of sushi float, with a few tables on the side. Plain-ish.

The staff are great. On you like a fat kid on a candy when you arrive, or look up to signal that you need something while seated. Fast, polite and seemingly very happy to be where they are. That last part is increasingly very rare in Calgary.

The salmon is great. Red and white tuna always fresh and buttery. Spicy tuna roll is my favourite. The tako (look it up newbies) roll is really interesting. Sweet and savory at the same time. Prices are very reasonable. I can feed my ravenous family of 4 for under $70. And yes, there are plenty of cucumber, fake crab and avocado dishes for you sushi poseurs.

And I’ve never had a bad piece of fish in the 10(?) years I’ve been going. And I know why. The kitchen is in the middle of the boats, so most of the restaurant is bar style, with costumer eyes scanning every element of the sushi making process constantly. So, while I think this place is committed to the highest standards of fish selection, freshness and cleanliness to start with, making the kitchen a spectator area surely helps to maintain that commitment.

As I see it, there are two reasons to give a restaurant the highest tripadvisor rating. Either for the execution of something novel, complex or surprising; or for just plain getting the restaurant experience dead right, time after time, year after year. That’s what Sushi Boat does. Congrats to the owners/managers.

3  Thank voegelin
Reviewed November 11, 2010

Came to this place while I was in town and loved it! Food was delicious aside from the fact that we were at the end of line so other tables got to everything before us. A bit of a wait to get in but overall was good. For two of us to eat with having water was $50 but we ate more sushi than the average person would and didn't keep to the cheap plates. It was too good to not eat as much as we did

Reviewed August 9, 2010

A short walk from Crowchild C-train Station (5mins) takes you to one of Calgary's most fun, sushi locations. The food is pretty stock-standard, if you want excellent sushi and sashimi, Calgary offers a number of excellent alternatives; but little compares to the atmosphere of sushi gliding past your table on cute little boats. Staff are busy but friendly and the service for menu-ordered items is pretty good. The place gets very busy and they don't do reservations so arriving between 6pm - 7:30pm will mean significant wait times (30 + minutes). Excellent value - average meal around $40 for two including drinks.

1  Thank Captainschmoo