“Hoped sushi was better”
Review of Sukiyaki House

Sukiyaki House
Reserve with OpenTable
Sukiyaki House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #227 of 3,575 Restaurants in Calgary
Transit: 2 blocks of Calgary Transit
Winnipeg, Canada
“Hoped sushi was better”
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Service was friendly and attentive, price acceptable, but taste only average so would try somewhere else for downtown sushi next time.

• Visited September 2013

Cloverdale, Canada
“Nice Sushi and good service”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Okay - Ben was having a bad day but when he made a mistake he owned up to it and worked hard to resolve and ensure that I was happy.

I sat at the sushi bar since I was solo. I ordered Edamame to start and then the special FRESH tunas, dynamite roll and a spicy tuna cone. The green tea is AMAZING so I highly recommend that.

First to arrive was my special tunas. They were both SO fresh and amazing flavour with the right amount of rice as not to overpower the delicate fish.

Then came a plate with 2 sets of 6 rolls. I had to ask another close by waiter what they were since I didn't think it was what I'd ordered. He clarified that one was the dynamite and the other the spicy tuna. I told him I guess I'd misread it being a single cone of spicy tuna.

Ben came over and confirmed that my order had been for a single cone and confirmed that I was happy with what I had in front of me - I was excited to try both so kept the rolls happily.

The dynamite roll was a tad salty for my taste but it was crunchy and had great flavour. The spicy tuna roll had a tiny slice of pepper on top of each and had a bit of bite but the roll was really good!

When Ben came he said it looked like I was happy with the portion size - just enough for me to eat.... I indicated that it was because he'd forgotten the edamame. I just wanted him to know of the omission but was happy not of have had it given the rolls I had.

He was apologetic and regretful of the error. I said it was completely fine. He worked hard to ensure that I was happy so I didn't mind. He offered me green tea ice cream as dessert on him but I said I was full and happy!

The pricing is worth the portion size and even with the bad day Ben was having - the servers work hard to ensure your tea is full, you understand the menu and have a great dining experience.

Solo or with a group I'd definitely give it a try... and from the looks of it - many people order and take out.... there were 2-3 people that came to pick up while I was there! So check it out!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank CaitieBC
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very fishy Sashimi”
Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

It was terrible, we had 4 different types of sashimi & they were all very fishy ....gross... I had the return of the swallow sll aftrnoon & i guess all 3 of us experience rhe same + the smell... do i have to say more. The rolls were fine but how hard is it to miss rolls. On top of that it cost us $140.00 for the 3 of us for lunch.....outrageous. Never going back. The girls were nice always supplied us with tea, the acoustic is also very poor. Sorry to pound on them but I thought you should know before you make z trip down there.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Manoruby
Calgary, Canada
“favorite sushi spot”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I eat here on a regular basis because the food is fresh and I like the slightly modern twist to the dishes. Try the spicy prawns and miso soup to start - both are either not available or prepared the same way anywhere else and are must try's. All of the rolls are excellent and taste fresh. Overall, give this place a try and you won't be disappointed with the food but you might raise an eyebrow when you see the bill.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank BRUCE W
Ottawa, Canada
“Two words: Spicy Prawns”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Sukiyaki House offers a decidedly modern take on Japanese cuisine that is both artful and delicious. My first visit will definitely not be my last as the Spicy Prawns were a scrumptious dish I had not ecnountered before - and one I will go back for again and again. Think of the best shrimp dish you have ever had and add just a hint of heat. MMmmmmmmm. My main dish, Mixed Tempura also measured up to the best I have ever eaten. Paired with an Australian white wine (the server's suggestioon) it was a perfect follow-up to the prawns. (Did I mention they were delicious?) When I requested some palate cleansing fruit to end the meal, I was not disappointed either. It took a while, but the chef sculpted an apple into a swan and added some tangerine, blueberries, mango and a few other fruits for gooid measure. I would have preferred something simple such as pineapple or a few raspberries but I can't complain about the artistry! The Sukiyaki House was surprisingly empty (about 1/3 full at the height of dinner service mid-week.) The food, willingness to please and professional service add up to a great find. I will be back even though I live 4.5 hous away by air!

• Visited August 2012