“Absolute worst service I have ever experienced”
Review of Sukiyaki House

Sukiyaki House
Reserve with OpenTable
Sukiyaki House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #253 of 3,682 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 1st Street SW
Transit: 2 blocks of Calgary Transit
Reviewed January 7, 2012

I cannot comment on the sushi as I never even got to try it! Went for lunch on Friday with two other co-workers. We were left waiting for almost an hour when we asked our server how much longer our meal would be. She said she would ask but then never returned to our table or made eye contact again. After watching many diners come in, eat, pay and leave, we asked another server what was going on. Were told they were short one sushi chef and it would be out shortly. We asked for our bill so we would be able to leave immediately after eating as we were now running very late. We were then offered three disgusting deep fried shrimp for our patience. At this point it was obvious our server had missed our order but at no point did she address our wait or offer any compensation. Finally after another half hour of waiting after paying and seeing many other diners still getting their food, I went up to our server to tell her we were leaving and we wanted our money back. She only looked at me blankly and asked what table I was at! She then had another server deal with us and return our money and never offered any apology for our wait. The server who returned our money tried to solve the problem but after waiting for 2.5 hours for food there wasn't much she could do to appease us. I understand things happen that are beyond control but not once did our server address the situation or offer us any sort of resolve besides telling us they were short a chef. I would not recommend this restaurant to anyone unless you have 5 hours to spare for a leisurely meal. I wish I could speak to the overpriced sushi but unfortunately I will never know.

1  Thank JannaGCalgary

Reviewed November 17, 2011

After waiting 43 mins for our lunch, I enquired to our waitress that we had been waiting close to an hour for our food. Her only response was that it had NOT been yet an hour, and then she walked away. A few minutes later, one of our dishes arrived, and when I commented to my conpanion regarding the other dish while she was present, she actually rolled her eyes, and rudely told me it would be a few more minutes. Ten minutes later, it arrived by another waiter, and we never again saw the waitress. Food was great, but SERVICE is key, and could have been handled much better by the larger Asian girl.

1  Thank BaconBreath
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Really very good quality of sushi, sashimi and in fact everything I have tried there. Even the miso soup has a slight flair that few other restaurants bother with.

Staff are very friendly and attentive.

Sushi rolls are handmade to order and these guys take it seriously. Really beautifully presented and well thought out.

I have only been in the evening during the week and cannot understand how these guys make ther money. It's always so quiet!

Would place it at the higher end of the price range but worth the money. Would have given more stars if it had a bit more atmosphere. Perfect for going to with colleagues but not for a date, at least not in the week.

1  Thank TaysTea
Reviewed September 15, 2011

So Today for my birthday me and a few girls from work decided to go to the ‘Sukiyaki House’ downtown. We passed it a few times over the last little while and thought it looked like a good place to eat. Seeing as it was my birthday on Monday I thought it would be a good chance to go.

So, we get there and it seems like a nice place. We sit down and order and waited.

And Waited.

Finally we get some of our food and we enjoy it. It was so good. Some of the Best Sushi I’ve ever had. One problem is it was only SOME of our food. So we waited.

And waited.

And Waited.

Before I knew it, it was nearly and hour and a half later. We Finally manage to flag down one of the waiters and ask about it and he says that their ‘machine’ is broken and if our food isn’t started, they will get it started.

What.

WHAT?

If it isn’t STARTED? It’s been like an hour! They haven’t even offered to refill our WATER. It wouldn’t have bothered us so much if the people around us, that got there 20 minutes later, or an hour later were getting food quicker than us.

Not to mention the fact that ONE of the waitresses would make scoffing noises every time she passed and didn’t say anything to us. What the hell?

It’s one thing to be slow. I get it. Things get busy. It’s another thing to not TELL us what’s going on. Not saying “Sorry, do you have your food yet?” or even bothering to refill our water. It was such a frustrating experience. The wonderful Delicious sushi wasn’t worth waiting for nearly 2 hours.

Was it because we weren’t dressed up? We were the only ones in jeans and T-shirts in a sea of men and women in business attire. Was it because we were young and didn’t look like we had a ton of money? Whatever the reason was, it’s not a valid excuse. We are paying customers. We’re not going to PAY if you don’t FEED us!

1  Thank GalaxyofGover
Reviewed February 6, 2011

The decor of this restaurant is very inviting and nicely done with some interesting art pieces. We started with the assorted tempura which was absolutely delicious. We chose 14 pieces of sushi and every one was fresh, creative and delicious. There was a good selection of cooked meals for those who not sushi fans although we did not try any. The service was prompt, very friendly and helpful for those not familiar with Japanese food. I will definitely go back.

1  Thank KatydidCalgary