“More than 20 years and still going strong”
Review of Spicy Hut

Spicy Hut
Ranked #679 of 3,624 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I've been going to the Spicy Hut, a no frills little restaurant just a short walk over the bridge from downtown Calgary. I have tried most things on the menu and all are wonderful. The service isn't always fast, but it is courteous. My favourite is the Bomei Ramitir, a delightful concoction of noodles, seafood and veggies. They have a great deal for lunch, with a number of dishes to choose from and which includes soup and spring rolls. The prices are very reasonable, the portions are really generous (I usually take food home and get one or two more meals out of one order!). I will keep going back and you should try it too! They could improve the website, Mr. Kong, get on that :-)!

There are newer reviews for Spicy Hut

Reviewed November 2, 2013

Decor is not the best but what it lacks in decor they makes up in the flavor of the food they serve. Its not overly priced we like to get the take-out about once a month. My favorite is the pad Thai they have many dishes something for almost every ones liking. If you love or like Thai food this is the place you won't be sorry

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Yes, the food is EXCELLENT, the service is expedient and the prices are great.
My problem: it is filthy.
I'm not a snob, I stay in Super 8's, eat street food, and I've combed back alleys in Asia. I do not need a place to be fancy. But it must be clean.
We started eating our meal (excellent pad thai) when I left to use the restroom.
Mistake.
It is so dirty I actually gagged and I could not eat any more. In my mind, I just kept picturing the infrequently (never?) mopped floor, broken tap that only allowed for a trickle of COLD water and the empty soap dispenser. I saw several staff members using this washroom and realized they are HANDLING MY FOOD.
Worse was the big, once-white plastic garbage can that was completely covered in mysterious brown splashes. SO GROSS.
It made me shudder to think what the kitchen must look like.
If I ever set foot in this place again, the only way that will happen is an inspection of the bathroom first.
SHUDDER.

4  Thank AlyssaSaturley
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I really like Spicy Hut. Put simply, the food is excellent, the portions are generous and the variety means you can always try something new. My favorite Thai dish is stuffed chicken wings. The best ones you can get are at Spices Laotian and Thai on Oahu, but since I don't go there every month, I make do with the (still very good) ones from Spicy Hut. The other thing they do, which I very much appreciate, is that they serve ginger beef with the sauce on the side. No more gummy beef!! Also, their sauce is very light and spicy.

Complaints: When you order takeout there are free options you can request if you spend a certain amount. Sometimes they "forget" to include them in your order. Check carefully before you leave. Also, the guy who works out front and perhaps owns the place is surly and abrupt. If he could learn to be nicer to his customers I think it would be appreciated. I don't mind giving this guy $$ for a good meal, but I do expect some courtesy (as well as excellent food) in return!

Try this place.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is not our first visit to the Spicy Hut, it is the first time that we've had a home delivery though. Since we know the menu, it was easy to order. The food arrived in reasonable time, it was all hot and ready to serve. Menu items that we've had in the restaurant were just the same and it was nice to know that they take just as much care for delivery as they do in house. Nice food, nicely done.