“Fabulous Meal! Great service”
Review of Smuggler's Inn

Smuggler's Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Smuggler's Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #46 of 3,768 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Southwest Calgary
Cross street: Glenmore Trail & Macleod Trail South
Description: Smuggler's Inn originally began in 1967 as Bar X Steakhouse, an American company. The current owner, Frank Krowicki, bought out his partners and went to work developing a brand new concept to Calgary. His vision included a mix of casual, late night fine dining and live piano bar. Over the years, the building expanded around Smuggler's Inn, with the addition of Winelite dining room on the west side, and Backstreet lounge and dining room on the north side. As the dining scene in Calgary began to change, Frank too saw a need to change and adapt. The first endeavour was the conversion of Backstreet lounge to Open Sesame in 2000. Open Sesame has been serving fresh, Pan Asian cuisine to happy customers ever since. The conversion of Backstreet dining room to Bolero was complete in 2007. As Calgary's first Brazilian style steakhouse, Bolero continues to satisfy meat lovers with its unique and interactive style of dining. Our latest addition is Tango Bistro, on the west side of the building, which once was Winelite dining room. At Tango Bistro, we bring together delicious, hand crafted small plates and fantastic wine to create a casual atmosphere for all to enjoy. In May 2013, Smuggler's Inn celebrated 40 years of serving mouth-watering Alberta prime rib and steaks alongside many original items, which have made us famous around the world. Four restaurants under one roof keeps us busy, but we wouldn't have it any other way. And the rest, as they say, is history! Smuggler's Group Rewards is a unique program that rewards you every time you visit us. For every dollar you spend, you earn points towards FREE Loyalty Certificates from Smuggler's Group Of Restaurants. Whenever you make a purchase, simply present your Smuggler's Group Rewards Card. We will automatically track your purchases and assign points to your membership. For every 200 points you accumulate, you will accumulate, you will automatically receive a $10 loyalty certificate to redeem on your next visit. There is no charge or fee associated with the Smuggler's Group Rewards Program. Just fill out the application, turn it in to us, and start using it right away.
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Made same day reservations, but since it was a weekday...I probably didn't need too. Our waiter Derrick, as fantastic! Food was great...I think we could probably do without the salad bar...as that seemed like they were holding onto the something from the past...seemed too old school. But we had the prime rib...and OMG...so tender! And their mashed potatoes...mmm good! He overheard that we were quietly celebrating a B-day (not into the waiter staff clapping and chanting or wearing moose hats) and at the end of the meal, he brought over a mud pie with enough spoons for everyone...and the candle was lit. That was classy...even better...he didn't charge us for it! He won us over!

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We had a business dinner at Smuggler's Inn recently. Price is fair and portions are good. There are no better place to bring foreign business partners to dine when they visit Alberta. Here is an old time steak house, heart of cowboy culture and big cuts of Alberta Beef that we are so famous for.
What did bother me while dining was when my water glass was refilled:
My glass of water was half empty when the server offered to refill my glass for me. A slice of lemon from the jug fell into the glass and I guess a fresh slice of lemon is deemed unacceptable by our server? I don't know why. He proceeded to pour the content of my glass back into the jug and refilled my glass again. Clean glass of water. Thank you. What I found appalling was that since no one at my table noticed he did that other than myself, he proceeded to refill the glasses for the rest of my party, and at other tables from the same jug without skipping a beat. Definitely not sanitary.

3  Thank Rexy22582
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is my first time back to Smugglers after recently moving back to Calgary. I was disappointed and so was the rest of the guests in was with. The prime rib was not tender and didn't really have any flavour. The cedar plank salmon tasted unseasoned. Definitely not the Smugglers Inn I remember even though their prices have stayed the same despite the service and overall experience going down.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We had an excellent dinner. Every entree starts with a trip to the salad/soup bar. They prepare your steak perfectly.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

One of the best old-time classic steak houses ever. Great brunch, if you need a place for brunch try Smugglers especially on a Saturday - they are much less busy than Sundays and have good selection