“Lobster mash to die for”
Review of Saltlik Steakhouse

Saltlik Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Saltlik Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 3,575 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Center
Calgary
“Lobster mash to die for”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Service was attentive, especially after we told them that we had just walked out of Milestones for getting NO service.

We had popcorn shrimp, Caesar salad, lobster mashed potatoes, seasonal veggies and a steak. The lobster mashed potatoes were amazing and I could eat just that any day of the week. The steak was perfectly cooked, albeit a bit bland for my liking, same with the Caesar salad.

Not really a fan of places that make you purchase sides separate from your steaks but I wasn't paying the bill this time, no idea what it cost but I am sure it wasn't cheap!

The atmosphere was cozy, watch your step in the ladies washroom. I just about killed myself stepping off the mat they had in front of the sink!

• Visited October 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Fochabers, United Kingdom
“Very good food with an interesting mix of clients”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

The food was very good and the staff very pleasant and attentive. It was quite busy with a lively atmosphere.

Melbourne, Australia
“Good steakhouse”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We had a good lunch here on the balcony. The service was excellent, the food very good and the environment very comfortable. This is a good value place for lunch.

Calgary, Canada
“Over-cooked, over-priced, overtime, over-powered”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Not a good experience. A dinner for two to forget. We decided to split the ahi tuna tartar, which was tasty but tiny. We then waited almost an hour for our main course because the kitchen was busy (forgive my cynicism but the whole raison d'etre for a restaurant is to process food in a timely manner..?). The accompanying vegetables were in tiny portions and the broccoli was burnt. All of this was presided over by a attractive waitress who deemed that what she had to say was much more important than the conversation we were engaged in when she interrupted us repeatedly. All of this set us back $125 (with only 2 alcoholic drinks). I've cooked better myself and I will go to Montana's next time and save 60% of the price.

Calgary, Canada
“New and allegedly improved serving detracted from evening ...”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Been to Saltlik many times in the past and probably favourably reviewed it as well in the past. Returned to Calgary recently and decided to have a memorable dinner celebrating my daughters recent work promotion. Was approached by three different servers within the first 5 minutes all explaining this new serving method where they all assisted each other to enhance our service and the overall feel of the evening. Perhaps in the boardroom this is a good idea but in practice it does not work. One of the three identified herself as the actual server responsible, I guess alleviating our fear that no ownership of our table would result. They all explained a different special for the evening and when pressed all provided a different combination that sounded great until the main server explained that they had all mixed up the information and it basically was not a special at all.

Needless to say we placed an order for water with lemon from one, wine with another, and had a fourth new face attend the table with water and wine glasses. No lemon and no wine arrived for quite some time so when the fourth face returned with our Calamari appy we asked about the wine. She apologized and returned with our wine a little late but at least the one we ordered.
Unfortunately the Calamari ordered by my daughter was heavily salted and she had ordered from the original server to have it without salt. An offer was made to return the dish and bring another but the server inspected it and said it appeared to be lightly salted.

We then shared a salad that went off without a hitch and was quite delicious. The server then came for our main entree order which we both had steak; i thought that I was substituting my baked potato for a side of lobster mash as suggested by the server but discovered on the final bill that she had misinformed me and instead I would be charged the full price for this side and if I was okay with that ... I wasn't. She had to discuss this with her Manager and they decided that the mis-communication was not my fault and the item was removed from the bill.

The meal was good, the time was great but the overly attentive but dis-jointed service nearly ruined the entire evening. I have learned to control the timing of the courses by delaying ordering my main until i am ready to do so but all the errors and issues caused by this serving method has really left me questioning if i would recommend this place or even go back myself.