“So Disappointed”

Neighborhood: Downtown
Calgary
“So Disappointed”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We often go to this location to share the Love boat as a family with a few sides to share. Granted we did go on New Years Eve and the restaurant was busy but this cannot be the full downfall in lack of attention and customer service. Most often we enjoy our stay at the DT location but the service last night must be voiced. Starting with our server who did not come to our table until more than 5 minutes after we we seated and during the first exchange she walked away from me while in mid sentence as I was ordering our drinks to attend to another matter. I was beside myself. We ordered the love boat and when in arrived it did not include the insert for which the food sits on, but instead on the floor of the boat itself. I can't imagine this is the most sanitary way to serve raw fish as the boats themselves are used over and over throughout the course of a day. I assume knowing this our server never returned to our table for a follow up on the food perhaps fearing our complaint in having to eat off the partially assembled vessel.

The Sushi rice beneath the Sashimi was not well made each portion fell apart once you dipped into your soya, nothing more frustrating when eating your sushi!

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Niroba

Calgary
“Satisfying Sushi and Sashimi at Sakana”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Sakana Grill offers reasonably good Japanese food in Calgary's Chinatown. Not the best in town but good sized portions of tasty fresh sushi and sashimi. Free house appetizers (California roll) started the meal at a recent lunch. Tempura shrimp were large, crunchy and hot - not all places offer that. Signature rolls offer added touches like mango and spicy sauces. Frozen grapes at the end are a nice touch as well. Service was acceptable but the Grill is in desperate need of a "Restaurant Makeover"; dark, dull and dreary inside with less than comfortable seating. But overall, a decent sushi feed at reasonable prices.

• Visited June 2013
3 Thank YYC_Foodie
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Huge portions delicious food and good service”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

The sushi was delicious, be prepared for huge amount of food. Great value for your money, I would definitely go back.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank vickidfenton
Calgary, Alberta
“So uncomfortable...”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Unfortunately, I've been 3 times (never my initiative - always invited by friends) and I hope to never go back, mostly because the seats are extremely uncomfortable: hard wooden benches (without backs) that are way too deep (and I'm 6' 1")! The place is also dreary and the food isn't anything special. There are MANY other choices of sushi restaurants - go somewhere else!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Live_Life_Big
Calgary, Canada
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Came here for late night teppanyaki. It was delcious, the server (hannah) was extremely accomodating, at one point she even took a picture of the ingriedients of the wasabi for me to make sure it was communicated clearly (I have a soy allergy...). I also couldnt have the reg salad they serve, and she was able to bring me a bowl of cucumber slices, like the tiny ones they put in sushi. The cucumber was top notch fresh, which I think bodes well for the rest of their food. They had a really nice selection of sake I would definitly go back there.

• Visited March 2013