“truly excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rouge

Rouge
Reserve with OpenTable
Rouge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #74 of 3,497 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Inglewood
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Ample free parking.
Lethbridge
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“truly excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2011

My husband I enjoy eating at good restaurants all over the world. Rouge is simply amongst the best. We have had dinner there twice in the past year, and on both occassions the food was truly excellent and the services was also very good.

Visited February 2011
1 Thank SusanLethbridge

Calgary
“Food was excellent; service needs improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2011

We made reservations for Rouge to have my birthday dinner there at 6pm on a Tuesday evening.
When we arrived, there were one or two other tables with small groups (3-4 people) in another room/section. The hostess showed my wife and I to the front room area that had 5 tables (four were 4-seaters, and one was a 2-seater). We were sat at the 2-seater by the window, which we thought was quite nice. As no one else was in this section, it was quiet and romantic.
Our server arrived and was very professional and friendly. We asked for mineral water to start. After looking through the food choices, he came back to tell us about the choices. It was off to a good start.
We then mentioned that my wife was pregnant and would not be having any alcohol. We then ordered our food and I ordered a glass of wine.
It wasn't until later that I realized the server did not ask the entire night if my wife wanted anything else to drink.
At about 6:30pm, another couple came to the restaurant. The hostess sat them at the table closest to us! It went to having a quiet intimate dinner to being uncomfortably close to strangers when there was obvious space for them elsewhere. (To note, we didn't leave until 8pm and none of the other identical, but farther away tables, in our section had dining guests). Now, while I have no doubt, we still would have heard each other's conversation if they had been sitting at another table, at least visually we could've had more space.
Our unique experience (or facade of one) was again jilted, as we could clearly overhear the server give the exact dialogue/joke/run-down to the new couple that we had just heard 15 minutes earlier. I realize a restaurant is a business, but if I wanted a verbatim reciting of restaurant's menu and sit right next to a stranger, I'd go to a fast food joint.
It was also at this point, that our server began to slow down his service to us. He seemed to spending more time in the other section with the group tables (bigger tip?). Additionally, my wine glass was empty for one and half courses, before I was asked if I wanted another.
The above issues unfortunately smeared the whole experience, as the food was quite delicious.
We tried the bison tourtiere - heavy, but perfectly so.
A couple of salads that had presentations quite amazing.
My wife had the 'candied' duck, which was very sweet and delicious. While I tried the elk medallions - quite tender and tasty.
As I was quite annoyed at the earlier-mentioned issues, I did not want to stick around for dessert.

• Visited January 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank luckyphilCalgary
Calgary, Canada
“Great Reception Dinner!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2010

I'm from Calgary and went to Rouge for the first time in May 2010 for my intimate wedding reception dinner. It was recommended by my parents who have been to Rouge several times for dinner parties. The ambience is beautiful inside and out and the food was wonderful.

I made our reservation shortly before they made a top-100 list for 'restaurants around the world' and was offered a private room for my dinner of 15. No hassle what so ever. The service was professional and the prices reasonable and on par with other reputable French restaurants within the city, but I thought this one was the best by far.

The restaurant is also located in a cute trendy area of the city, Inglewood, which has many nice boutiques, antique stores, and coffee shops etc.

1 Thank crave_the_waves
Calgary
“Quite possibly the best meal I have ever had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2010

My wife and I did the chef's tasting menu with wine pairing. Wow! Perfect. Service was impeccable, and the food perfectly prepared. Wine pairings were quite appropriate and a bit exotic, which we like.

Don't understand why this is not rated the #1 restaurant in Calgary....?

1 Thank RoamingTexan59
Calgary, Canada
“Perfect Summer Garden”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2010

I eat at Rouge every summer for my birthday and I love it. The use of local ingredients and the calibre of food is unmatched in Calgary. Sit outside and enjoy the garden. I typically ask for a vegetarian dish and have always been pleasantly surprised by the creativity and depth of flavour. LOVE it!

2 Thank Poppiesandchevre