“Spectacular”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rouge

Rouge
Reserve with OpenTable
Rouge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #84 of 3,514 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Inglewood
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Ample free parking.
“Spectacular”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

My partner and I recently went to Rouge to celebrate our anniversary. I don't have one single complaint about this restaurant. We order the Chef's tasting menu with wine pairing. Each course and each glass of wine was exquisite. The service was phenomenal. Our server was extremely attentive and knowledgable. No one we came in contact with was pretentious at all. We were told that the Chef's tasting menu changes every week so we will definitely be returning to try some more. It was an expensive night out but we both thought it was worth every penny. We left full and extremely satisfied with our experience.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Stefcia42

“Spectacular French Cuisine”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

We have visited Rouge multiple times and love the food here. We recommend the chefs menu to anyone who would like to try amazing french dishes with unique wine pairings. The staff at rouge is very attentive and can help you with your every need.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank BNW-Polycarp
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Anniversary dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

My wife was 8 months pregnant when we went for our anniversary dinner to Rouge. We went off menu for the most part, just asking for anything the chef wanted to make for us as long as whatever my wife ate was fully cooked.

The meal was one of the best we have ever had. And we got a cute card signed by the staff!

The staff are incredible, and the food really does speak for itself.

• Visited August 2012
4 Thank BizTrippingDad
Calgary, Canada
“Good food - not great, Very Rich, Expensive, Modest Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have eaten at Rouge at least half a dozen times, the most recent was the other night when I took the whole family. I liked it a lot when it first opened, but the last few visits have been much less enjoyable. I will warn you I am sensitive to writing negative reviews and don't do it often but this is not really positive, though I try to be balanced. The setting is very pretty, no complaints. The food is generally very very rich and heavy. Its ok in the winter, but there are really limited choices if you don't want something that rich. We had mushroom soup, double cream based, with an egg yolk just to make a little heavier. Tasty but so rich my wife had heartburn before she finished. I had the appetizer beef ribs and while very tasty I almost couldn't finish the small portion it was so rich. I am far from a health food nut, but this is really over the top. The wine list was really expensive, not many wines under 100 dollars and from what I could tell the markup was around 3x's. The meal itself was also very pricey. I am happy to spend a lot to go out to eat, but for that there should be reasonable choices, I should not feel like I have to purge myself after dinner and I don't like feeling I was taken advantage of. I will add the waiter was pleasant but pretentious, which is kind of what I have come to think of the restaurant. I will be slow to return. To those into elaborate meals, very heavy, nicely prepared (but not brilliant) and very expensive, its not bad.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank gajgmusic
calgary
“Mediocre food and service + very high price = poor review”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

I really was looking forward to this meal. It had been years since I had been to Rouge, and the last experience had been stellar.

So, perhaps I hit Rouge on an off night.

I ordered the Chef's menu with wine parings. Let's start with the wine pairings. Hit and miss at best. Being served a sticky sweet Sauternes with fois gras, in advance of big reds didn't work at all. Made the following red taste like a charcoal briquette. Was the Cab good? I have no idea, my taste buds were gummed up. But, wine is subjective, so it might be that I have a poor palate (not).

Bread with meal. Cold, round, dull.

All portion sizes. On the small side.

First course. An odd fishy crunchy salady thing with shrimp noodles and scallops. Scallops very fresh and good, but the review from all of us at the table was the dish was just "OK".

Next, shredded rabbit with thick heavy pasta. The highlight of the night by far. The table mused that we should just ask for six helpings of the pasta. Stunning.

Next fois gras. Hard to taste with that Sauternes wallpapering my palate. Two styles, first the standard seared. Delicious. Second a mouse with coffee. Interesting, but mixed reviews. One bite of each.

Next, elk slices. "Poached," said the server with much pride. Not surprisingly it didn't taste fresh and gilled, it tasted lightly boiled - which it was. Not bad... But not like elk should taste IMHO.

Cheese dish. Bad. Sorry, can't dance around this one. I can replicate this dish. Take a teeny little slice of no-name white cheese from Superstore, toast a teeny little slice of baguette, add a drop of maple syrup, or jam. There. That was course five.

No one liked dessert. Two of us just left parts of it behind. Bland caramely ice cream on top of a remarkably flavourless square of flan(?)

Last, service. I have had three hour meals before. I don't mind three hour meals. If there are enough courses, of enough substance, to keep one entertained. Plus, there should be a waiter standing casually behind me constantly but discretely topping up wine, adding bread, dusting the table cloth, etc. A three hour meal is 50% eating, and 50% service drama. In this case, it was 10% eating and 90% vast chasms of empty time just waiting, and waiting and waiting. Seriously, it took up to 25 minutes between two-bite courses. We debated whether or not to complain. I said complaining never does any good, the speed of a kitchen is the speed of a kitchen. I hoped our waiter would say something, like "sorry for the wait, can I offer you more bread?" But nope. The waiting was tiring and boring. And, at a place that was on the Pellegrino list, totally unacceptable. The waiter was rushed. And it showed.

The bill was big. Again, for emphasis, the bill was big.

This place gets good reviews. It SHOULD be one of Calgary's best. It has all the necessary ingredients. But my group concluded that for our next celebratory meal we'd revert back to old-faithful, Chaumiere.

• Visited January 2013