“A must try restaurant for all food lovers new or currently living in Calgary”
Review of Rouge

Rouge
Reserve with OpenTable
Rouge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #100 of 3,551 Restaurants in Calgary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Inglewood
Cross street: 12th Street
Transit: Ample free parking.
Alberta
“A must try restaurant for all food lovers new or currently living in Calgary”
Reviewed March 20, 2011

The best dining experience my wife and I have had to date in Calgary.
We will definitely go back. The creativity coming out of the kitchen is simply mind blowing.
Foie Gras was as good as I have ever had. Duck Consomme soup with Lobster mousse was sublime. I had the duo of Lamb my wife the Pork.
My only regret was not taking part of the 6 course chefs tasting dinner with wine pairings.
Service was outstanding.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank dave1545

Picton
“One amazing meal!”
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We have heard about from a few of our friends so when in Calgary we thought that we would give them a try.
We like to seek out unique dining experiences when we travel but this one literally blew us out of the water.
We ordered the tasting menu with wine pairings and were very pleased. The balance of flavours was wonderful, the wines were very aptly chosen.
We were challenged by the sommelier to try to identify the wines which he kept bringing - this lead to a very animated discussion regarding the wines and the pairings. Clearly he had given in choices a lot of thought.
Overall, an amazing evening. We are already planning of a return trip - I'm told that the tasting menu is different ever night.

1 Thank intrepidtraveller100
Lethbridge
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“truly excellent”
Reviewed February 26, 2011

My husband I enjoy eating at good restaurants all over the world. Rouge is simply amongst the best. We have had dinner there twice in the past year, and on both occassions the food was truly excellent and the services was also very good.

Visited February 2011
1 Thank SusanLethbridge
Calgary
“Food was excellent; service needs improvement”
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We made reservations for Rouge to have my birthday dinner there at 6pm on a Tuesday evening.
When we arrived, there were one or two other tables with small groups (3-4 people) in another room/section. The hostess showed my wife and I to the front room area that had 5 tables (four were 4-seaters, and one was a 2-seater). We were sat at the 2-seater by the window, which we thought was quite nice. As no one else was in this section, it was quiet and romantic.
Our server arrived and was very professional and friendly. We asked for mineral water to start. After looking through the food choices, he came back to tell us about the choices. It was off to a good start.
We then mentioned that my wife was pregnant and would not be having any alcohol. We then ordered our food and I ordered a glass of wine.
It wasn't until later that I realized the server did not ask the entire night if my wife wanted anything else to drink.
At about 6:30pm, another couple came to the restaurant. The hostess sat them at the table closest to us! It went to having a quiet intimate dinner to being uncomfortably close to strangers when there was obvious space for them elsewhere. (To note, we didn't leave until 8pm and none of the other identical, but farther away tables, in our section had dining guests). Now, while I have no doubt, we still would have heard each other's conversation if they had been sitting at another table, at least visually we could've had more space.
Our unique experience (or facade of one) was again jilted, as we could clearly overhear the server give the exact dialogue/joke/run-down to the new couple that we had just heard 15 minutes earlier. I realize a restaurant is a business, but if I wanted a verbatim reciting of restaurant's menu and sit right next to a stranger, I'd go to a fast food joint.
It was also at this point, that our server began to slow down his service to us. He seemed to spending more time in the other section with the group tables (bigger tip?). Additionally, my wine glass was empty for one and half courses, before I was asked if I wanted another.
The above issues unfortunately smeared the whole experience, as the food was quite delicious.
We tried the bison tourtiere - heavy, but perfectly so.
A couple of salads that had presentations quite amazing.
My wife had the 'candied' duck, which was very sweet and delicious. While I tried the elk medallions - quite tender and tasty.
As I was quite annoyed at the earlier-mentioned issues, I did not want to stick around for dessert.

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank luckyphilCalgary
Calgary, Canada
“Great Reception Dinner!”
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I'm from Calgary and went to Rouge for the first time in May 2010 for my intimate wedding reception dinner. It was recommended by my parents who have been to Rouge several times for dinner parties. The ambience is beautiful inside and out and the food was wonderful.

I made our reservation shortly before they made a top-100 list for 'restaurants around the world' and was offered a private room for my dinner of 15. No hassle what so ever. The service was professional and the prices reasonable and on par with other reputable French restaurants within the city, but I thought this one was the best by far.

The restaurant is also located in a cute trendy area of the city, Inglewood, which has many nice boutiques, antique stores, and coffee shops etc.

1 Thank crave_the_waves