“Terrible, dirty place, fruit-flies everywhere.....”
Review of Regency Palace

Regency Palace
Ranked #1,528 of 3,770 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Restaurant is big but poor mangament, bad service, bad food, price is high compare with other, I won't go back...

Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have been to Regency Palace probably a dozen times in the past 18 months, most recently for a Christmas party in December 2012 and for a dim sum breakfast in February 2013 (to mark the one year anniversary of my return from a visit to China). I have never been disappointed by the food, regardless of whether I visited for breakfast (dim sum), lunch, or dinner. The dinner buffet was terrific in December 2012 and the ice cream dessert section was spectacular too. The dim sum is always great, and there is plenty of variety for anyone (both for people nervous to try unique things, and for those who are adventurous). The food ins't cheap, but it is reasonably priced, and the atmosphere is very nice. Given that Regency Palace is right in Chinatown, it is hard to find a more legitimate and authentic experience in Calgary.

1  Thank USCTrojansFan23
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Best hot pot ... great of party ! Fun cooking and food quality is exceptional. Service is super !!! Great for family ... kids will love cooking themselves.... and don't forget the desserts...

Reviewed December 14, 2012

A good place. Typical large open style Chinese restaurant. The food is good. We have had hot pot, which involved choosing meat and fish in buffet style, and then cooking it in a soup like stock with your friends. I recommend going there with a group - one can choose at least two stocks.

2  Thank Sandeepina
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We flew all the way from Hong Kong to Calgary for my mom's 80th b-day only. Unfortunately, the quality of the food was totally dissatisfied and the only comment – the dinner was way over-priced (CAD12xx).

VIP Room
The given VIP room seems like a reception area or a lounge bar, nearing the entrance. Staffs were even working (i.e. clean up glasses, doing some tableware) while we were having dinner. It was so annoying and disrespectful.

Braise Supreme Shark’s Fin:
A bowl of Bean sprouts with countable low graded shark’s fin on top. It tasted so salty and the Shark’s fin wasn’t supreme at all.

Braised Whole Fresh Abalone in Chicken Sauce:
The abalones were cheap canned type, The chef probably only needed a microware for making the dish. The source tasted the same as used for the Shark’s fin.

Braised Sea Cucumber with Vegetable:
I was impressed by the size of the plate, not anything on it. The vegetable was so salty and difficult to chew. The sea cucumber was ridiculously unacceptable! Again, the same source

Couple Jumbo Scallops:
It shouldn’t be hard to buy good scallops in Canada. The so-called “Jumbo” ones were small and tiny ones, with roughly estimated 1.2 inches in diameter. The worst thing was that some were sliced into two.

Steamed Fish with Soya Sauce:
Each one of us was served a very small portion of such low graded fish. If the chief wasn’t sure how to cook fishes like Grouper, Coral Grouper, etc, it might be better to serve the whole low graded fish, at least, to fill up our stomach.

Noodle with soup:
The crappy noodle tasted like Rubber band! It tasted horrible and sucks! The soup was just plain tasteless like water.

The birthday buns
It looks like to me that the chief wasn’t know how much time it needed to steam up the buns, some were remained cold inside. (This is quite a big surprise for every one of us)

We had 7 people and paid CAD 12xx for such disappointing dinner, it costs more than CAD 170 for each one of us. I understand that business means making profits, but most importantly, recurring clients are the major source of future revenue. There is a thin line between ripping off and making profits. The overall qualities of food and the waiter’s bad attitude have forced me to write this message; we were so pissed off. The restaurant should speak to the chief and the waiter, at least, to ask the chief changing the menu or lower the price by at least 30%.

(Why would this restaurant do something like that for us, especially on my Mom’s 80th birthday?)

4  Thank fanso88