“A good place for dim sums and hot pot”
Review of Regency Palace

Regency Palace
Ranked #1,656 of 3,625 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Downtown
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed December 14, 2012

A good place. Typical large open style Chinese restaurant. The food is good. We have had hot pot, which involved choosing meat and fish in buffet style, and then cooking it in a soup like stock with your friends. I recommend going there with a group - one can choose at least two stocks.

2  Thank Sandeepina
There are newer reviews for Regency Palace

Reviewed July 18, 2012

We flew all the way from Hong Kong to Calgary for my mom's 80th b-day only. Unfortunately, the quality of the food was totally dissatisfied and the only comment – the dinner was way over-priced (CAD12xx).

VIP Room
The given VIP room seems like a reception area or a lounge bar, nearing the entrance. Staffs were even working (i.e. clean up glasses, doing some tableware) while we were having dinner. It was so annoying and disrespectful.

Braise Supreme Shark’s Fin:
A bowl of Bean sprouts with countable low graded shark’s fin on top. It tasted so salty and the Shark’s fin wasn’t supreme at all.

Braised Whole Fresh Abalone in Chicken Sauce:
The abalones were cheap canned type, The chef probably only needed a microware for making the dish. The source tasted the same as used for the Shark’s fin.

Braised Sea Cucumber with Vegetable:
I was impressed by the size of the plate, not anything on it. The vegetable was so salty and difficult to chew. The sea cucumber was ridiculously unacceptable! Again, the same source

Couple Jumbo Scallops:
It shouldn’t be hard to buy good scallops in Canada. The so-called “Jumbo” ones were small and tiny ones, with roughly estimated 1.2 inches in diameter. The worst thing was that some were sliced into two.

Steamed Fish with Soya Sauce:
Each one of us was served a very small portion of such low graded fish. If the chief wasn’t sure how to cook fishes like Grouper, Coral Grouper, etc, it might be better to serve the whole low graded fish, at least, to fill up our stomach.

Noodle with soup:
The crappy noodle tasted like Rubber band! It tasted horrible and sucks! The soup was just plain tasteless like water.

The birthday buns
It looks like to me that the chief wasn’t know how much time it needed to steam up the buns, some were remained cold inside. (This is quite a big surprise for every one of us)

We had 7 people and paid CAD 12xx for such disappointing dinner, it costs more than CAD 170 for each one of us. I understand that business means making profits, but most importantly, recurring clients are the major source of future revenue. There is a thin line between ripping off and making profits. The overall qualities of food and the waiter’s bad attitude have forced me to write this message; we were so pissed off. The restaurant should speak to the chief and the waiter, at least, to ask the chief changing the menu or lower the price by at least 30%.

(Why would this restaurant do something like that for us, especially on my Mom’s 80th birthday?)

4  Thank fanso88
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Let me start by saying that we originally went to the Silver Dragon for supper, on a Thursday, to be told that it was closed for a wedding. One of the guests outside suggested the Regency Palace as one of two nearby options so we chose this one as our car was nearby. (Your parking will be reimbursed if you take your receipt in). Apparently it was Hot Pot night and is quite popular. Our waitress spoke very broken English and as this was our first time there and having questions on the Hot Pot situation I ended up approaching other guests to gain their assistance. You choose 2 broths/soups (they are listed on a menu with no description to degree of spicy) and it's like a broth fondue. There is a Hot Pot buffet which is loaded with all kinds of meat, fish, shellfish, veggies, soup, noodles, etc that you bring back to your table and cook in the soup. We chose the popular chicken & ham soup as well as the satay coconut (we didn't like this one, I imagined it would be a bit creamy but wasn't). It was frustrating not knowing what we were doing and then when we got our act together we had to hunt our waitress down to ask for some skimmers to get our cooked food out of the soup. Our waitress must have thought we were completely stupid as she kept coming back and trying to cook our food. I do laugh when I remember my friend's face when the waitress dumped her whole plate into the broth and repeated "1 minute" about 4 times. She tried that with me and I blocked her hand & told her that I was fine. Halfway thru the meal the front manager came over and told us that the full cooked buffet was included as well, which we didn't know. Then another server walked over and dumped water from a pitcher into each of the soups. We thought she missed the water glasses but it diluted the flavor (and we had another good laugh). The won ton soup was really good, as was the salt and pepper squid, ginger beef and mussels. We arrived near buffet start time so the food was fresh. I felt confident in the seafood as it was all iced properly. We paid $20 each for all of it but if I went back I would have the buffet alone. Don't expect any type of decent dessert but there is sliced fruit. We went across the street for Vietnamese coffee to end the meal.

3  Thank Terra B
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My boss and I went to this restaurant upon arriving in Calgary for business (our hotel was just down the street). She is well-versed in the dim sum scene, so being a beginner she placed the orders. Everything was served efficiently, and was so delicious! There was an event going on (I think it was a major performer/entertainer from Hong Kong) so that enhanced the experience for us. Would definitely go back! They're not affiliated, but there's a Chinese bakery on the bottom floor of the Dragon City Mall this restaurant is in. I highly recommend saving room for some dessert from there, especially their pineapple buns! Yum!

1  Thank Brenda P
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I have eaten dim sum in a lot of places, San Francisco, Vancouver, even London and Regency Palace is good authentic food. They offer selections from the traditional carts and also have a steam table that stocks the favorites....Har Kau and Siu Mai, sticky rice and BBQ pork buns so you don't have to wait if your are starving. Regency also has a fry table with turnip cake, pork dumplings and much, much more. Just head on up and pick your favorite. Regency is a favorite of the Asian population in Calgary but the staff is very friendly and accomodating to those who don't speak Chinese. My personal favorite in Calgary!

1  Thank Animato