“Satisfying meal with great service”

Prego Cucina Italiana
Ranked #278 of 3,682 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I was really craving some decent Italian food and Prego Restorante Italiano did not disappoint. Nice atmosphere and it was quite quiet when we were there.

Our server was extremely friendly and attentive, also very helpful with wine suggestions.

Our meals were exactly what I'd hoped they'd be. I had the gnocchi which was simple and delicious. My boyfriend had the spaghetti olio (I think) which he enjoyed very much. The portions didn't look very big at first glance, but once we got into them we realized they were quite generous, we certainly didn't leave hungry!

Finished off with a couple cappuccinos, which we were not charged for, a lovely added bonus. Will definitely be back at some point, very satisfying.

1  Thank PDove

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Risotto was excellent. Pinot Grigio was chilled. Waiters were polite and talkative. I would go back.

1  Thank The_Aussies_Travel
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Business dinner for about 6 of us. Good service and reasonably quiet. Calamari was okay, spinach salad was great. I had Parmesan chicken with pasta which was very good. Overall, very reasonable.

1  Thank Kgwd000
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Located in Eau Claire Market. Stopped by before they were opening and asked if I could see a menu. Server/Manager was very nice and handed us one. My lunch was Orange Roughy with a wine/balsamic reduction, with a skewer of prawns, pasta with tomato sauce, and vegetables (green beans, zucchini, red pepper. Price was $26. My frame of reference: The last two dinners where I've spent that much (Cactus Club in Calgary and Balkan in Banff), I was absolutely wowed and gave both a 5 based on the food. This wasn't the case. The prawns just weren't good, perhaps overcooked or perhaps not that fresh. Fish was good, so was sauce and vegetables were great. I was with two people who really didn't want to eat. One ordered calamari, which was excellent; just very lightly breaded and fresh tasting. I also ordered the "orangini"? (risotto balls), which I enjoyed. Normally I can't have these due to dairy allergies, but the way they make them worked for me. I was charged for two coffees, $2.95, with the first having a shot of espresso. Total bill was $52, and I tipped 20%. I left not feeling that great about the amount spent. It is a nice, clean, bright place. I wasn't crazy about the blues music. It was packed on a Monday at lunch with people in business attire. If I was in the area, I might try again at lunch for a pasta item, but would not order the same thing I had. They offer 1/2 size pasta dishes for $12.

1  Thank tlhjar
Reviewed March 16, 2013

A girlfriend and I had a ladies night out last night and went to Prego's before seeing a film. The staff are absolutely wonderful. If you've been a few times, they know your name and welcome you like one of the family. We dined "family style" (i.e. you leave it up to the chef) and were served 4 marvelous courses. It really is fun not knowing what's coming -- just knowing that it is going to be good. The shrimp on the salad were so tasty and the dressing just right. The duo of pasta were lovely, but I'm glad I didn't finish so that I would have room for the main dish of beautifully flavourful and tender lamb chops, a slice of veal and well chosen vegetables. Dessert was a duo of chocolate with strawberries. Mmm. The recommended wine went beautifully. It was a wonderful 2+ hours: great food well served in a lovely room. This is my husband's and my "go-to" place when we want a wonderful meal out at a price that's just fine. I struggle with saying its $$$ rather than $$. In my view it is reasonably priced; we have spent more for less on all counts here in Calgary.