“Poorly Managed”

Cuisines: Pizza, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Northwest Calgary
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My boyfriend and I are new to Calgary and wanted to find a good brunch place. I just randomly googled Sunday Brunch in Calgary and Nick's caught our eye because they have an all you can eat steak brunch.

As everyone says, yes the decor outdated, however I found it to be very reminiscent of the old school charm of the traditional steakhouse. When we walked in the door there were three staff members sitting on a bench behind the hostess station, one of whom was the manager. No one stood up to greet us and the welcome was lack luster at best.

The buffet had a good selection but the food in the chafing dishes were cold to lukewarm. There seemed to be staff everywhere yet no one was assisting us and we had to dish out our own food. Finally, what looked like a busser came over to help. Unfortunately, he disappeared before I could request an omelette. When the "executive chef" finally did appear he acted as if he was doing me a favour by making my omelette.

The service was mediocre and we were often sitting with dirty dishes and empty drinks. The manager walked by a few times without even quality checking/asking if we needed drinks/clearing the table. The place was literally crawling with staff doing nothing. They seemed much more concerned with getting their own fill at the buffet than the customers experience. At one point my boyfriend had to wait at the salad bar for an employee to fill her plate before he could his. I could hear the staff having inappropriate conversations and at one point the manager tried to give some idle staff direction and one of them sassed her.

When we were finished we waited for about ten minutes for our bill/ our plates to be cleared while four staff members, including the manager, were eating at a table in the dining room. We finally gave up and went to the hostess station to get our bill.

All in all the service was terrible and the food less than mediocre. As a newcomer to Calgary I am praying that this is not the best this city has to offer in a brunch buffet.

There are newer reviews for Nick's Steak House & Pizza

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Food is good, the staff seems to be distracted. Bartenders and staff in the lounge were drinking behind the counter (maybe alcohol, maybe not, sure looked like a party though)
Overall 5/10. Food is good, service is okay, the place is fairly old.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

Our family goes to Nicks at least 10 times a year. Old school service and what eating out used to be like. 70's decor but that's what makes it great.

Restaurant is clean and tidy. I have been eating here for 10 years and most staff is long term.

Never had bad service or cold food. Good service is hard to find in Calgary. Prices are reasonable considering Calgary is an expensive city to live in.

On the stadium C train stop.

Tip, go real early if a foot ball game is being played.

2  Thank CalgaryYYC1
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This would be a great place to watch "the game". With a cozy atmosphere, a great selection of drinks and great steaks and pizza, I wouldn't think twice about dropping in here to watch the game. Though you'd have to come early to get a seat!

1  Thank Raj B
Reviewed October 25, 2012

good beer, great ribs, large potions service was great we have 8 adults and 5 kids waitress very accomidating

2  Thank geoinlberta