“Don't waste your special night out...”

La Chaumiere Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Chaumiere Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #150 of 3,756 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Mission
Reviewed January 26, 2013

We travel all over Canada and Europe, and Mexico. I lived in France, I am French, I love food and the service industry, and this restaurant is repeatedly annoying on all counts. The service is "sticky". I wanted to scream at the three, yes three, waiters that we had, to either bugger off or sit down and join our conversation. The food is boring, and tonight, I can actually say it is tasteless. Skip the Pâté Maison and have a glass of water instead.... Seriously more flavour to the still water. The Greek Salad was... well, Greek Salad, but without the oregano. I guess that would make it too Greek for a French restaurant. But it did have goat cheese instead of feta. Big deal. I'd like to be impressed, but am not. My main course was sablefish... overdone. How can you overcook sablefish, the very definition of tender? And the attempt at a wasabi/pea crust? It tasted like gas, but over salted, served up with some sort of chic pea concoction. Weird. We thought the idea of dessert, a special for two, order in advance, soufflé would save the day. Again, lovely to behold, but where's the flavour? I actually sprinkled a little sugar over it hoping that would help. Nope. And why order in advance? Is it because we were told that the kitchen closes at 9h00 pm (the chef actually goes home on a Saturday night at 9h00 pm?) Do we live in Skookumchuk, or Calgary? The dinner service was so rushed that our reservation for 7 o'clock was finished at 8h00pm. So we had two cups of coffee and a few liqueurs to make the evening worthwhile for the babysitter. A whopping $300 later, we arrived home at 9h00. Seriously, save your money for somewhere special, like, say, Earl's Tin Palace. Better food, better atmosphere, better value. The upside of La Chaumiere? They have magnificent Belgian French baguettes!!!

4  Thank mexycan04

Reviewed January 24, 2013

This dinning experience was very enjoyable and the food was delicious. The atmosphere is elegant but it is missing a bit of details and warmth for such a high end restaurant. The menu has some great dishes with a lot of unsual ingredients that make this place a very interesting culinary experience.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

They staff have a way to make you feel right at home. Wonderful food, and knowledgeable servers with wine. La Chaumiere always gives you a memorable dinner and evening. Simply the best!

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I have lived most of my life in Calgary and remember when La Chaumiere was first opened. It was very good but very expensive (or so it seemed). I have eaten at there many times, the most recent was a few days ago with my family. The room has changed very little (since the move), it is very elegant. The staff are delightful and wonderful. Old, young, European, North American, they are all unfailingly polite, and knowledgeable. The wine list is outstanding and very fairly priced. The food is fairly classical french, but very good variety. The food is wonderful I had Ossobuco, it was delicious, better than I have had anywhere. The lobster bisque is classic. My family had duck, chicken and a steak and were very pleased. The salads and other appetizers were superb. Dessert included great creme brulee and 7 minute chocolate cake which is terrific. And funny enough, after all these years, it is solidly mild of the road in terms of pricing for Calgarys' better restaurants and therefor I would say exceptional value. Don't hesitate to go.

2  Thank gajgmusic
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Beautiful french cuisine with fabulous service. This is a "special" meal restaurant as it is pricy.... and so worth it.