“One of my Favorite Calgary Resturants”
Review of Jonas' Restaurant

Jonas' Restaurant
Ranked #230 of 3,770 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Owned by a husband and wife and one of hte cleanest resturants I have been in small not fancy decore a bit tired by the food is great and its cost effective.

Reviewed October 6, 2011

Until I dined at Jonas's, I had never had Hungarian food - well, out of Budapest. I have dined at Jonas's with friends, family, business clients and just about anyone who will go with me. This is a truly family owned restaurant - husband in the kitchen and wife serving. The menu is predictable - but only because that is what the customers demand. The atmosphere matches the food - cheerful, comforting and tasteful.

1  Thank Gingenut
Reviewed September 10, 2011

This quaint little Hungarian family run restaurant is very popular (maybe because it's the only one in Calgary) is located right downtown in the business sector and has a wide range of clientel. Good luck trying to find a seat during lunch hour. You have to reserve to get in, but once you sit down you are in for a treat you won't forget for quite some time. Try their Stuffed Duck on Wednesdays Only. WOW! I would also recommend their authentic Hungarian Gulyas Soup, which is a meal all by it self or the chicken soup with Liver Dumplings. Then there is their Breaded Catfish, it's out of this world for taste as well as quantity. And don't forget to try their "Palacsinta" which is not one but two stuffed Crepes on a plate for dessert. You can bring your own wine if you like but they will charge you a corkage fee. The athmosphere is filled with friendly service & hungarian misic.

2  Thank Jim L
Reviewed March 8, 2011

One of the best "unknown" restaurants in the city. Ive been going here for years, and the chicken paprikash is fantastic....Truly a hidden gem

1  Thank manium
Reviewed June 27, 2010

Hello. We have gone several times, and yes the food is hearty. Restaurant is very narrow. The web menu prices seem higher than what we paid a while back.

On our last visit, we came to the restaurant after I had stopped by earlier to say I'd call to make a reservation. I changed my mind about the reservation and just thought we'd go. We received a sharp-toned quip response from the lady owner, who said we should have phoned to make a reservation. She looked annoyed. I wanted to turn around and leave. But, my better half wanted to stay. Why pay to be spoken to like this??

Not sure if we'll go back- we may just go to the Austrian Club of Calgary for a hearty European meal next time.

13  Thank PickleFlame