“Great for a simple lunch or dinner”
Review of JOEY Barlow

JOEY Barlow
Ranked #93 of 3,668 Restaurants in Calgary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The original JOEY location. Easy to get to, and with the airport right next door, it's convenient for that pre-international escape meal or cocktail.
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This is really not my kind of restaurant for a nice dinner out but it serves for lunch and I have often been to Joey Crowfoot for dinner because my Mother likes the food. My mother uses a walker so we need to pick restaurants that have few if any levels. Joey Barlow was accommodating this way and the staff were very helpful and kind to my 87 year old Mom. The food and the staff are a bit formula for me but I can always find something I like. At Joey Barlow I had the burger where the bun is lettuce leaves instead of bread and I really enjoyed it. My mother like the chicken sandwich and they were accommodating enough to bring it to her with all the trimmings but no bread. She loved that. Fast courteous, if not engaging, servers made our first time at the Barlow location a good experience and we would come back.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

We were there on Saturday night for some libations, appys, and dessert. Had good service in the lounge but mostly just appreciated the cool ambiance. I really liked the candle look above the bar. Well done!

One change - I wish you would have had a brownie for dessert. What kind of restaurant doesn't have brownies?

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Summary: First visit to a Joey restaurant, eating solo during a business trip.

Atmosphere: The restaurant dining area is a large open area split by a half wall from a lower section and upper section, and a lounge on the other side of the building. There is a full wall of wine bottles that catches your eye right away and what impressed me the most, an open style kitchen where you can see the gifted chefs work on the orders. Due to the open style dining room, sound carries, causing it to be quite loud as many conversations speak above each other to ensure parties can hear one another, the lighting is hanging lights, which causes dark shadows scattered throughout the dining room, including casting a shadow from myself over the plates I was eating. The furniture is comfortable, though it seems the over sized seats may be a little too high for the tables.

Customer Service: Greeted by a manager, I was given the option of eating in the lounge or dining room and led along the Wine Wall, in front of the kitchen windows, to a small table where I was able to look out over the restaurant. My waitress was very attentive, and very knowledgeable of the menu, specifically asking me if I have any special requests or allergies the kitchen should be aware of.

The Meal: The mushroom soup was nice, not heavy, but a good consistency, the cut of the mushrooms suggest this is hand made, possibly fresh in restaurant. While there was a hit of tarragon (or similar herb) it was predominantly a mushroom soup, very nice flavour. It would have been complimented much further if fresh bread was accompanied with it .

The Blackened Basa was served with asparagus, aromatic rice and
tomato pickled ginger salsa. I really enjoyed this main course; the fish was excellent, it was perfectly seasoned and cooked just right, the salsa was an excellent compliment to everything on the plate. The rice was overcooked, but the flavour far outweighed that fact, I am sure they could have served the rice on a brick, with nothing else, and it still would have been fantastic.

I opted for a white wine to go with both courses, and chose the house white, Cuvée Jean-Paul from France. I was not disappointed with this choice, it was light, citrusy, fruity and a light dry aftertaste. The wine enhanced both the mushroom soup and the Basa, it should be a regular pairing.

Timing (In Minutes): Arrived 00:00, Order taken 09:00, Drink arrived 12;00, Appetizer arrived 18:00 (taken @22:00 ), Main arrived 30:00 (taken @ 42:00 ), Paid 50:00

Overall: This was my first visit to a JOEYs restaurant. The décor was comfortable, the waitresses have a dress code that consists of tight black dresses that they constantly have to pull down from riding up their legs too much. The food is fantastic, and having an open kitchen keep the crew accountable and conscious of their actions, I would recommend this restaurant any day, and may visit it again before I head back to Yellowknife.

3  Thank Gordupnorth
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

We you travel for business by your self and do not eat at the bar. They tried to tell me that there was room at the bar for me. I had said that I will not sit at the bar and yet they offered the bar again.

Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

We sat in the lounge and were served by a nice black girl (can't remember her name). She was courteous and provided friendly and efficient service. You order a drink and it comes soon.

We ordered the beach salad (hold the quinoa) and my husband had something with potatoes (lol). The salad was great! Just as good as it used to be before the Joey's change. I have tried the salad with the quinoa before and it was terrible.

We have say in the restaurant before and I found it too stuffy. The lounge was just right with only a couple of loud girls screaming occasionally. It's not Joey Barlow's fault so I won't blame them.

Everything else was great. Sat without a wait in a booth, got everything in a reasonable time frame, and left full and happy.

We will be back!!