“Consistently good and great vegetarian options too!”
Review of JOEY Barlow

JOEY Barlow
Ranked #107 of 3,679 Restaurants in Calgary
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The original JOEY location. Easy to get to, and with the airport right next door, it's convenient for that pre-international escape meal or cocktail.
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I work close to this Joeys and am usually here 2 to 3 times a month. It is always busy - so we arrive early to avoid the rush, but even at 1140ish, its getting busy. When you walk in, you are typically greeted by smiling staff - attractive guys and gals dressed smartly. ( Smartly - god that makes me sound old!)
This restaurant has a combination of booths, four tops and a few round tables ( we have often had 10 or more from work around them).

So - onto the food - as a vegetarian it can be difficult to find decent offerings. Not the case here, they use Gardein here ( the vegetarians know what I mean - a protein substitute sent from the gods - Vancouver actually) and work it into many items - Souvlaki, butter "chicken" as well as other items. Many times, I have had the veggie souvlaki - its delicous. Strips of grilled spiced Gardein, with tzatziki, tomatoes, lettuce, wrapped in a warm pita bread - Always very fresh, might I add. I have the house salad - which is really nice. Dried cranberries, crumbled feta and crunchy nut like things ( sorry I cant be more specific) with a nice lemon dressing My coworkers often have the butter chicken and my one East Indian friend who is particularly critical of Indian food- raves about it. I take that as a pretty good endorsement.
One time recently it was so busy, we set along the ledge that faced into the kitchen ( did I mention part of it is a open kitchen) and it was great. We could see the young cooks working like a well oiled machine, rolling sushi, making salads, flatbreads etc. The service was still excellent, and it was suprisingly fun to watch
What always strikes me about this place is consistency - clearly they have lots of training for the staff and manage the place well. As it is so busy, there is no room for slow servers, cooks or poor quality food. The place has a definite buzz to it - and considering its lunchtime in the NE - it feels more like Stephen Avenue at dinner..
The service is always friendly and there is a great team spirit here, it is reflected in the attentive service and proactive approach to the tables ( e.g. bringing over refills of soft drinks when they are almost empty - without asking).
Price wise - its good value for the overall experience. On average, I can have a good lunch with soft drink and tip for about 20 bucks. To the owners of Joeys, keep up the good work, and to the staff - thanks for all the great service. We will continue to go back.

1  Thank Adamyyc

Reviewed April 23, 2013

one of the better places to get good fish toacos in Calgary. Their mushroom soup is to die for, none better. It is a very busy place so come early to get a table withour waiting.

1  Thank Surfer16532
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Excellent food and excellent service. Lobster ravioli was very tasty. My dining partner enjoyed her salad.

1  Thank lucy1957
Reviewed April 22, 2013

The restaurant claims to have Mediterranean cuisine, but really did not get that feeling from reading the menu. I had the California Chicken Club $14.75 and my friend had the French Dip $17.75 (beef was very rare). We each had a glass of wine (6 oz) $10.00 each. We asked to have a half liter but they only serve wine in 6oz ,9oz and a full bottle. As we were driving we settled for the smaller glass. The restaurant was packed on a Tuesday night but we were lucky when we got there at 8 in the evening to be seated right away as a couple had just left. Will not go back as it is very pricy for what we got. The food and service were good.

1  Thank yelowdaisy
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have eaten here twice now and have been very happy both times. The food is on point and the staff is very friendly. We normally stay in this area for a week at a time every month so I have tried all of the surrounding restaurants and this is by far the best.