“Always had great time & food there..”

Japanese Village Steak House
Ranked #439 of 3,552 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Beltline
Paris, Ile-de-France, France
“Always had great time & food there..”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Every time my husband & I visit Calgary (my mother-in-law lives here), we will definitely have Japanese village steak house in our agenda for the family gather. It just like a visit to japan, the servers are quiet good & the chef quiet funny with their good food & life cooking show that quiet entertaining. if you're having a birthday, don't forget to tell them than you'll have a surprise that you'll never forget. they'll dress you up in a Japanese costume, they'll sing happy b'day, take a photo of you & get it done just before you leave and voila you'll get your b'day postcard done at the same time...;))

• Visited January 2013

Calgary
“B-day for Me!”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have had a few parties at this seedy side of town joint. I LOVED all of it. Japan knows how to party and present pure entertainment. Food is fresh, tastey, not processed, I will be back.

Calgary
“Great Place Excellent Food and Entertainment”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was for my husbands birthday, and was more than I expected it to be. Fantastic service, and entertainment. The food was very good. Good price for the amount served as well. Drinks are about what you would pay anywhere. They dance, sing, and keep your table entertained.

• Visited September 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Last time here”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

In my last review of this restaurant, I begged the owner to reconsider the horrendous unhygienic practice of putting the well-used and handled menus on top of the plates where our food is soon to be placed. I was sorry to see that this has not been addressed at all. The assembly line approach continues and our experience this time of being asked to leave prior to finishing our meals because people were waiting on the table was unacceptable. In addition, there is one chef - he may be the head chef as he wears a different coloured hat - is totally inappropriate in his humour. Several times, he has teased my dining partner about being bald. This time he took it to an extreme and my partner said that he would not return if served by this man again. Teasing someone about their appearance is not only intrusive and rude but unacceptable in any service context. After 30 years of frequenting this restaurant, this is my last time. Not even the steak sauce is worth suffering through this experience!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank ProfessorNurse
Calgary, Canada
“Still a very enjoyable meal but not quite what it used to be”
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We had a birthday dinner at Japanese Village in Calgary and left mostly satisfied.

On the positive side the food is very tasty and the multi-course dinners represent very good value compared to a-la carte dining.

On the negative side of the ledger there are a few items to consider. First, the last couple of times that we have been to JV the chef for our table has seemed less experienced / smooth as I remember from earlier visits. Second, the assembly line efficiency with which each course is provided results in the whole experience being over in exactly am hour. When I looked at my watch when we emerged, blinking, on the sidewalk I couldn't help but feel a bit cheated and wondering what we were going to do with the rest of the evening with dinner over so quickly.

All in all, I still enjoy / recommend Japanese Village with the caveats noted.

• Visited July 2013