“All I can Say is Fantastic”

Japanese Village Steak House
Ranked #439 of 3,552 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: Japanese, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Beltline
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
“All I can Say is Fantastic”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We went to the Japanese Village with my my son and daughter and their spouses. The meal was just awesome and the show the table side chefs put on was the best.The value you get for your money is well worth it. I would go there everyday if I could. We are from Vancouver but I will be going here again when we come back.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Randy H

Halifax, Canada
“Great Entertainment, But Less Than Intimate”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Visited Japanese Village for my parents' 25th wedding anniversary. It was a lot of fun, great entertainment for the whole family. The meal did feel a bit rushed, and there wasn't a lot of opportunity for conversation among company. The food itself was very tasty and we left with full bellies and plenty of food to take home. For special occasions, I would return, but not if I am hoping for a good conversation, or to take my time lounging at the table.

1 Thank Manila T
Calgary, Canada
“Predictable and Good”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

If you are thinking of going to JV for the service, ambience, or a truly authentic Japanese experience, go elsewhere. It is noisy, can be cramped if you have a big party at your table, and the service is often brusque and hurried. The chefs all have a routine they go through, which, depending on the chef can be either charming and fun or irritating. When I go I always order a New York Steak done rare. I order at least the mid size, because the smaller (maiko) cut can be tough because they use a very thin steak often-times, and then slice it with the grain. The thicker cuts tend to come off the grill better. The ginger and steak sauces are hopelessly addictive. Dump the steak sauce on your rice and then ask for more for the actual meat!

Apart from the consistently good food, another benefit is cost. You can leave feeling very full for $25. I keep going back on nights when steak, rice, and cheesy service are the only things that will do!

2 Thank anderses
Calgary, Canada
“Keep the steak sauce but watch the menus”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have been going to Japanese Village for almost 40 years. The food and service is always predictable, consistent, and it is reasonable value for the price. One knows what to expect at the restaurant: 1. you will be warned (scolded) when you call to have all parties be on time; 2. you will be ushered in through an assembly line process and the dinner will proceed with the same assembly line attitude; 3. the cooks will be sometimes (but not all of them) pushy (esp., the big one who has NO boundaries and is inappropriate in his teasing) and will use the same jokes, they have used for 40 years ("magic mushrooms from my basement"); 4. the steak sauce will steal the show (you know the regulars by those asking for it on their rice - in fact, it is the steak sauce that brings us back every time even if we vowed never to return); 5. you will be rushed through your meal and promptly brought your bill and not allowed to linger; 6. you can count on being out of there in 45 minutes, 1 hour tops.

Still, we return and we crave it in between visits. There is one plea I have for this restaurant: PLEASE, PLEASE, stop putting the menus on top of the dinner plates! These menus have been handled by thousands of people and then they are set on top of the plate where all your food will shortly be set and the contamination is very off-putting. Being in the medical profession, I cannot even fathom the transfer of germs, bacteria, viruses, and other unmentionables. This can be easily remedied by putting the menus either beside or under the plates.

4 Thank ProfessorNurse
San Francisco, California
“Great dogs!”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Had heard about japadogs and when I saw the cart knew I had to try one, over two days tried three and all were great!

1 Thank Bill P