“Busy - all the time”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Mission
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We've been here a number of times, usually with a larger group (6-8) of family and friends and always for dinner. It is on the pricey side, but we've enjoyed most of the meals we've had here. Our latest visit was on a Tuesday night in early September.

The food is very good, not outstanding at the price, but definitely worth while. The appetizers are perhaps the best feature. I've had oysters on many visits. They are always fresh and served with a remoulade on the side, which you can use, or not (I like it). The pate is very good, and a huge serving, enough for two. The onion soup is also good, and a large serving. On the mains menu, the Rack of Lamb is good, if a bit pricey. The sauce is very strong and maybe not for all tastes. My dinner guests have had the Tuna-beef combination and been impressed. The Magret of Duck is very nice, but it is not a large portion - if you need a ton of food, try the lamb or Cassoulet. The Steak au Poivre is very nice - a strip loin and the pepper sauce is great. My wife has had the Cassoulet with Duck confit a few times and I had it this last visit. This is a lot of food and very rich. It includes white beans, a nice house-made sausage, a lamb chop, and the duck confit. Great.

There is a nice wine list, although I'm getting pretty tired of paying 300-350% markup on wine in a restaurant. Surely a profit of 100% is enough? This is not a practise restricted to Fleur de Sel and it is getting OLD!

The restaurant is tight - small tables and chairs and not much space. That adds to the bistro feel, to me. It is not spotless, but it is acceptably clean.

Generally, although it is very busy, the wait person keeps a handle on things. This last visit he was definitely in over his head. It was a Tuesday night and a number of larger groups showed up at once. He did his best, but was clearly overwhelmed a few times. To his credit, he kept going and did not get cranky. We've been going here for years and it is the same waiter - to me this is a good sign. Generally, he does a great job. Also, in spite of a larger group they do not use the automatic 15-18% tip that many places do for large groups. The tip should not be mandated by the size of the group. I generally pay the bill , and service is service - or not. In this place, I've never left less than 18%.

So - would we go back. Definitely!

2  Thank wegetaround_42
There are newer reviews for Fleur de Sel

Reviewed September 6, 2012

kimd of a funky place looks like a shabby but stylish west bank bistro. Big guys will not fit well in the small chairs but that is in keeping with the theme.

Went in for lunch place had French onion soup which I liked the croutons served on the side allowing them to remain crispy while enjoying the soup.

Then had a very unusual Tarte Tatin served flamed with Calvados.

Bit expensive for what we got but cheaper than a plane ticket to Paris.

2  Thank Michael M
Reviewed July 18, 2012

fortunately... french food so much better than that !
ratatouille is not french ratatouille
ravioli is not french/italian ravioli
chocolate mouss is not french chocolate mouss
etc - etc- etc
and...
all out of price !
not good, not clean, not so friendly... what we would call in french : total "arnaque" !

4  Thank muriel F
Reviewed July 3, 2012

A little France in Canada! It has more of a french bistro feel than many places in Paris! Completely charming and always delicious food. Cozy tables where you can see what others are having and with the patrons being friendly you can always strike up a conversation. Cassoulet is a must, you need a big appetite.

2  Thank foodguru m
Reviewed March 13, 2012

My wife and I went to Fleur du Sel this Valentines Day because we had wanted to try it for a long time. First, and most importantly, the food was excellent. We both love French cuisine and Fleur du Sel did not disappoint at all. My cassoulet was authentic as anything I’ve tried outside of France and my wife’s shrimp dish was delicious as well.

It’s hard to judge a restaurant’s service based on Valentines Day alone, but there were a few areas where we were very much let down. We sat with empty dessert plates for at least half an hour without seeing a server and earlier, when we ordered wine, we were brought two ‘clean’ glasses that each had about an ounce of wine in them from a previous diner (Sauternes if you’re curious…). This was really odd but I would put this down more to the craziness of Valentines Day than to a deep problem with the service. At first, my wife and I were speechless but then we had a good laugh about it.

Overall, it is a good restaurant with very delicious and authentic French food. My only concern is that when a restaurant charges as much as they do, the service should live up to the same level. I hope to return soon on a day that is not the 14th of February.

3  Thank TDF_Abroad