“Excellent French food”

Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Mission
Reviewed March 13, 2012

My wife and I went to Fleur du Sel this Valentines Day because we had wanted to try it for a long time. First, and most importantly, the food was excellent. We both love French cuisine and Fleur du Sel did not disappoint at all. My cassoulet was authentic as anything I’ve tried outside of France and my wife’s shrimp dish was delicious as well.

It’s hard to judge a restaurant’s service based on Valentines Day alone, but there were a few areas where we were very much let down. We sat with empty dessert plates for at least half an hour without seeing a server and earlier, when we ordered wine, we were brought two ‘clean’ glasses that each had about an ounce of wine in them from a previous diner (Sauternes if you’re curious…). This was really odd but I would put this down more to the craziness of Valentines Day than to a deep problem with the service. At first, my wife and I were speechless but then we had a good laugh about it.

Overall, it is a good restaurant with very delicious and authentic French food. My only concern is that when a restaurant charges as much as they do, the service should live up to the same level. I hope to return soon on a day that is not the 14th of February.

3  Thank TDF_Abroad

Reviewed August 4, 2011

I live down the street and go to Fleur de Sel 4-5 times a year. I've had a great meal every visit: the onion soup as an appetizer and rack of lamb main course are consistently wonderful.

Surprised by some of the poor reviews: the food and atmosphere are superb as far as I'm concerned.

3  Thank MarkHeard
Reviewed November 16, 2010

My wife and I stepped out to celabrate a special night. The service this evening was beyond good . We were presented with a great description of all our choices. We ended up having a blast and sharing in a small room dining experience. Our meals were cooked to perfection and we left with the greatest smile on our faces and a VERY reasonable bill for food of this quality. I hyighly recomend this bistro for any occasion

Reviewed November 14, 2010

I was not overly hungry and ordered a side dish of ratatouille (and wine and tea). When the bill came, my side dish of oily vegetables showed up as being $39!!! I questioned the waiter who said: "But of course, it's French food Madame!" I AM French I told him, and that's not acceptable. So they did apologize and made it $20. It wasn't even worth that! Luckily my dinner companions were wonderful and made up for the so so experience.

1  Thank FrenchNana
Reviewed April 24, 2010

fleur de sel has become my "treat" restaurant in my mind, because the food is SO good.. but pretty darn expensive.

the atmosphere isn't great because the place is small, but it's cute in a sort of euro way... the first time we went there was a party of 15 that had been there from 1pm until 9pm when we got there, so it was extremely close quarters (the lady at the table behind me's earring fell off and went into my purse which was under my chair.. that's how close we were sitting) but it's more reasonable than that usually.

the waitress is very nice, helpful and knowledgeable about the menu. the bread is good and has a nice dipping oil, which is a bonus because food is pretty slow. I don't find that a problem, but don't go expecting to be in and hour in an hour. a decent wine selection, and the lamb is easily the best lamb i've ever had. worth the $39. eep.

they have a website with prices on it so you can at least pre-expect the pricing, which is nice.

1  Thank euphoria066