“BIGGEST. BADDEST. SOGGY BURHER. NOT WHAT I WOULD CALL SIGNATURE...”

Earls Calgary Westhills
Ranked #588 of 3,514 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: American, Bar, Canadian, International, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Southwest Calgary
Calgary, Canada
“BIGGEST. BADDEST. SOGGY BURHER. NOT WHAT I WOULD CALL SIGNATURE...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

Went to Earls at Westhill on June 1, 2012. We ordered entrees only. When burgers came, my fries were cold and the bigger better burger was a bigger BAD burger at $16.00. The bun was soggy, soaked in grease and the layering of the condiments produced a burger that fell apart when trying to hold. I complained and Earls took it off the bill, but the damage was done. By the way the food was served, I saw no pride of service or quality control. Lots of Earls in town. Most are hit and miss. This place was a big miss. Next time I want a burger I'll go to Macdonalds. At least there my burger will be made to order, the bun will be fresh and the fries hot.

1 Thank Steve D

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Westhills Earls - Overpriced on all counts”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

Our first impression of the Westhills Earls was not good. The hostess sat us right behind her and the noisy entrance, when there were plenty of empty tables further away from the breezy front entrance. My friend asked to be moved so they accommodated. Every item on the menu is over priced, $15 - $30 for entrees. Our food was good, our friends really enjoyed theirs. My husband had a rib combo and he said they were really good. I had the Bronx Burger and it was very good as well. My husband ordered the Milk Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup for dessert at a whopping $8. To say it was disappointing is an understatement. It was a small amount of chocolate pudding with a dollop of peanut butter something and a couple of pieces of sponge toffee on top. The pudding was absolutely awful, tasting no better than what you would get in a hospital cafeteria! That along with the high priced menu was enough for us to remove Earls in general, from our list of places to spend our hard-earned money!

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank bgsmiley
calgary
“good food but noisy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

I find Earl's to be very noisy making it hard to have a conversation. The food is really good, I think they make the best baby back ribs around (forget Tony Romas). However, the down side is the cost ; even for something like a big salad with a few shrimp and candied pecans $18 - really? Every time we go here (we generally go if we have gotten gift cards) we are amazed at how many people with kids are here - how can they afford it?

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank 1508
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“beef barley soup was good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2009

beef barley soup was good

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Calgary, Canada
“Okay Spot for Ladies Who Lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2009

I'm old enough to remember the Fuller's chain (the Canadian-based equivalent of Denny's). I've long felt that Earls, its successor, does a good job of taking the efficient service and consistent food standards of the classic family restaurant and moving it up the ladder.

Earl's (oops, “Earls”) food is freshly prepared from fresh ingredients, and the execution is reliable. The menus are constantly updated so that there is often something new to try. I have to say though, that the recent menu descriptions gave my dining companion and me a good giggle. Here are two examples:

“Braised Shortrib Beef Dip – Slowly braised beef in a red wine demi glace, horseradish cream sauce, sauteed mushrooms & red onion, toasted baguette, au jus [comes with fries or upgrade to salad or soup for additional $1]. $16

“Prawn & Scallop Market Salad - Organic greens, creamy goat cheese, toasted pecans, crisp celery batons, julienne red beets, fresh tarragon vinaigrette, topped with warm buttered prawns and five scallops. 17.50”

As my dining companion pointed out, the au jus for the beef dip can’t be produced by the shortribs, since they’re braised, not roasted; no pan drippings! The “crisp celery batons” description of celery sticks was so over the top that it gave us both a laugh. And why is it important to count the scallops but not the prawns?

I ordered the beef dip, because it sounded interesting and because I was in the mood for a beef dip. The meat was a little greasier than I’d have liked, but then I should have expected that from a fattier cut like short ribs; the fried onions and mushrooms probably also added to this effect. But the horseradish sauce was pleasant, not too strong, and overall the beef dip was okay, although I don’t think it would be possible to live up to its rather grandiose billing. The french fries that it came with were also a little disappointing; it’s been a long time since I’ve seen skinny shoestring (julienne) fries in a restaurant, and I just don’t think they have as much potato flavour as even a slightly larger fry.

My dining companion ordered the “Warm Roasted Beet and Spinach Salad: Roasted red and yellow beets, goat cheese, figs and toasted pinenuts, baby spinach, honey mint dressing.” At around $12 (if I recall correctly), I think she got the better deal as she really enjoyed it.

It was a very quiet lunch hour, so the staff had no problem maintaining the usual good standards; free refills on our beverages came regularly, our waiter was friendly without being obtrusive. But I still wonder why, exactly, the vinegar for my fries came in a tiny bowl instead of a vinegar cruet; luckily I like lots of vinegar on my fries!

The room is carpeted and the booths are well-upholstered and comfortable, which keeps the noise down. A pet peeve of mine is restaurants which are full of hard surfaces that reflect rather than absorb noise, meaning that a full room makes it very difficult to have a conversation.

The prices were a bit higher than I remembered, but it was a good experience overall, and I’d likely return again.

1 Thank Country_Wife