“Good Food and Service”

Booker's BBQ Grill & Crab Shack
Reserve with OpenTable
Booker's BBQ Grill & Crab Shack is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #245 of 3,537 Restaurants in Calgary
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Barbecue, Cajun & Creole, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 3rd Street SE
Description: Bookers BBQ + Crab Shack brings an authentic Southern atmosphere to Calgary with a comfortable, upbeat dining and drinking experience. Located in a century-old brick warehouse, Bookers is a hidden gem at the gateway to Calgary’s East Village. Seasoned BBQ chefs slow smoke over 200 lbs of Alberta chicken, beef, and pork every day and serve it alongside fresh seafood, local produce, signature cocktails, and original, house made sauces and rubs. Bookers is Calgary’s oldest BBQ institution where freedom and fun are ingrained in the culture, kitchen and guest experience.
Vancouver, BC
“Good Food and Service”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

First of all the service was great last night, our server was very attentive and pleasant, she definitely set the right tone for dinner. There was just the two of us so we split a combination platter along with some extra sides. The smoked chicken, mashed potato and corn bread was very good. The corn on the cob and baked beans were good. I'd pass on the coleslaw next time because it was a bit watery and didn't taste fresh at all. What gives this restaurant the 4 rating instead of the 3 is their BBQ sauces. All 3 of them were different and amazing. We will return.

• Visited May 2014
5 Thank bc_redhead

Calgary, Canada
“Very underwhelmed ”
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

I really expected some really great food and atmosphere..... What we got was mediocre good and a really lame atmosphere. The live band was more Misfits rather than Commitments..... Ride around Sally!!!
The food was not great for the price .
I was really disappointed for my first and possibly last visit to Bookers.

Calgary
“Overpriced, no food consistency and weird portioning, plus dirty.”
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We were at Booker's the other night for a friends' birthday dinner and had a private room at the top of the stairs. Due to group size there was a set menu.
My husband and I both had the Caesar Salad starter (VERY good) and the brownie dessert (also VERY good). But then there was the ribs, catfish and the chicken.
The ribs were tough and dry (according to 2 separate people next to us).
The catfish was a tiny, tiny portion (smaller than an average sized Koi or large goldfish) and gross in taste and consistency, and there were 5 tiny mushrooms as a side. (Everyone got mashed potatoes in a tiny skillet and they were yummy.) -$30
The chicken was a full half chicken and very tasty (with Cajun flavoured corn on the side instead of a few tiny mushrooms). - $30
The room we were in was covered in dust and cobwebs though the table and chairs were nice & clean.
The wait staff was very good, there was only 1 waitress for the whole group (around 20 people) and she did very well, including splitting the bills up.
Our bill was over $100 for the 2 of us and we can easily say it was not at all worth the cost.
A band (a pretty good one, I did not catch their name) started up around 9:30-9:45 pm and then conversation was impossible.
Overall I would say give it a try but don't expect it to be clean, be wary of portion sizes and quality discrepancies.

• Visited March 2014
Okotoks, Canada
“Horrible Food & Worse Service”
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Don't waste your time or money visiting Bookers. I've never had such rude service & over priced bad food. Never again! Have already spread the word about my terrible experience & wouldn't want anyone else to go through what we did.

Calgary, Canada
“Won't be back!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went to Bookers for a casual dinner. We wouldn't go back despite the great service. When the hostess brought us to the booth there was obviously water dripping down from the pipes above and moved us to another booth. Crab cake api was delicious but the crab meal was horrible - over priced for snow crab and over cooked (soft shells, watery). My wife sent hers back I continued with mine. Her 2nd attempt was much better. Next time we will buy our own crab and have a better meal.