“Overpriced, no food consistency and weird portioning, plus dirty.”

Booker's BBQ Grill & Crab Shack
Reserve with OpenTable
Booker's BBQ Grill & Crab Shack is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #176 of 3,684 Restaurants in Calgary
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: 3rd Street SE
Description: Bookers BBQ + Crab Shack brings an authentic Southern atmosphere to Calgary with a comfortable, upbeat dining and drinking experience. Located in a century-old brick warehouse, Bookers is a hidden gem at the gateway to Calgary’s East Village. Seasoned BBQ chefs slow smoke over 200 lbs of Alberta chicken, beef, and pork every day and serve it alongside fresh seafood, local produce, signature cocktails, and original, house made sauces and rubs. Bookers is Calgary’s oldest BBQ institution where freedom and fun are ingrained in the culture, kitchen and guest experience.
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We were at Booker's the other night for a friends' birthday dinner and had a private room at the top of the stairs. Due to group size there was a set menu.
My husband and I both had the Caesar Salad starter (VERY good) and the brownie dessert (also VERY good). But then there was the ribs, catfish and the chicken.
The ribs were tough and dry (according to 2 separate people next to us).
The catfish was a tiny, tiny portion (smaller than an average sized Koi or large goldfish) and gross in taste and consistency, and there were 5 tiny mushrooms as a side. (Everyone got mashed potatoes in a tiny skillet and they were yummy.) -$30
The chicken was a full half chicken and very tasty (with Cajun flavoured corn on the side instead of a few tiny mushrooms). - $30
The room we were in was covered in dust and cobwebs though the table and chairs were nice & clean.
The wait staff was very good, there was only 1 waitress for the whole group (around 20 people) and she did very well, including splitting the bills up.
Our bill was over $100 for the 2 of us and we can easily say it was not at all worth the cost.
A band (a pretty good one, I did not catch their name) started up around 9:30-9:45 pm and then conversation was impossible.
Overall I would say give it a try but don't expect it to be clean, be wary of portion sizes and quality discrepancies.

Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

Don't waste your time or money visiting Bookers. I've never had such rude service & over priced bad food. Never again! Have already spread the word about my terrible experience & wouldn't want anyone else to go through what we did.

Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went to Bookers for a casual dinner. We wouldn't go back despite the great service. When the hostess brought us to the booth there was obviously water dripping down from the pipes above and moved us to another booth. Crab cake api was delicious but the crab meal was horrible - over priced for snow crab and over cooked (soft shells, watery). My wife sent hers back I continued with mine. Her 2nd attempt was much better. Next time we will buy our own crab and have a better meal.

Reviewed January 17, 2014

I was very excited to go to somewhere like this a we don't have this type of place in the UK. We ordered the ribs and they were just over powering.Very strong taste and particularly blacked but not that tender.
Snow crab came next and it was OK , a little hard work after I had King crab the night before. My wife had a loaded jacket potato which was over cooked (How is that possible).

Ok if your out with the boys

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We've been thinking of checking this out for awhile. A place known for seafood, but has a good non seafood menu is tough to find. I had the Jambalaya and my lovely wife had the Caesar salad and Bad Axx Potato. It's not often I hear "we've got to come back here" before the meal was done. We went to a Flames game after and didn't buy ANY junk food because we were still full, AND I ordered the Half order. It was plenty. Decent Pub atmosphere and a little warning to those not limber, the washrooms are upstairs. Looking forward to the next time our favorite band Blacklight play there again. It would be a great excuse to go again.